Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

E-file rejected due to ForeignTaxesPaidOrAccruedDt on Form 1116

Hi, I am not sure if it is an IRS issue or a TT issue. However, TT guidance over the issue is clearly inadequate based on all the posts.

dsiemro
Returning Member

I am in same place.....have worked days adding, deleting and changing values. I had blank form 1116 and could not delete It. It disappeared from forms column, but was back when I went to file taxes. Final review told me items were missing and no way could I delete the blank form from my return. IRS kept rejecting my return.   UGGH!

dsiemro
Returning Member

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like many others here, I spent hours and hours trying to get it to work. That's not including the two yours I spent with TurboTax customer support working on this.  I tried everything here, and went back and tried again and again. Nothing I did made it work.

I ended up filing a paper return. And in retrospect I wish I had just done that earlier.  Preparing the paper return took much less time than the hours I took trying to get TurboTax to allow an e-filing.  If you are having trouble, go ahead and try the solutions here, but if the problems persist, then I recommend you not repeat my mistake.  Don't spend too much time on this... just go to make a paper filing.

And next year, let's all see if we can find something that works better than TurboTax. What a disappointment TurboTax has been.

Any data on that second Form 1116?  You may have a source document (1099-DIV) that is feeding to a separate Form1116, possibly with null data.  That would prevent you from deleting it.  And, of course, check for "various" in Form 1099-DIV for countries (make sure both lines in Box 8 have the same answer, RIC works best and is also the correct answer for mutual funds) and Form 1116 does not have "various" in dates.

dnadeau

Very much appreciated - this worked perfectly.  Maybe TT will fix this next year

-djn

After the e-file got rejected 3 times due to Form1116, while smart-check returned no error at all, I realized this could be a TT issue. Foxbat's advice is really helpful, we followed the steps suggested, and finally, the returns have been accepted. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Also, I have more than just dividend income, and more than one column in Form1116, but the advice still worked in my case.

karenfa

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.   After having my returns (federal and state) reject after trying many things and resubmitting, I really appreciate the detailed answer.  In addition, I needed to delete Form 1116 (Copy 2) which was for my passive income and relink it on my 1099 input.  I also had general category income and had to make sure the passive info was in column B.  Your advice was very helpful.

drwagley
Returning Member

I am having similar issues on Form 1116.  I have checked it numerous times finding no errors, refile and continue to get rejected.  I did not have an issue with this in 2019.  I believe it is a bug.

drwagley
Returning Member

The bug is the dropdown which allows "Various" for country.  IRS does not recognize this.  Another user pointed this out and I chose a country and the return was accepted.

taxedalot

Foxbat, YOU ROCK!!!!

I did as you said, mainly no "various" and no blanks for dates and it worked.  You are a lifesaver.

Thanks!!

I give up. It's March 3. Form 1116 is available in Turbotax updates. But like many others Turbotax still won't let me do an electronic filing. I would just like to switch to H&R block which I've never used before. So I've got some questions and am hoping someone can help.

1. Will H&R block software import last year's Turbotax data?

2. Will Turbotax give me a refund for what I paid for their 2021 software? Actually, I purchased my download from Costco. So I'm wondering if Costco which is really good about returns will refund what I paid., 

Thanks All! (But not thanks to Turbotax which screwed up).

Have you looked at your return using the Forms method (in the blue bar at the top, far right; toggles between Forms and Step-by-step),  then scroll through the forms looking for a red exclamation mark (!)? 

Likely one next to Form 1116 based on your comments.  Check on the form with the red ! then click the red "Errors" octagonal box (looks like a stop sign) with an exclamation mark at the top of the column (on the left) for all the Forms.  In the open form at the bottom there should/might be an popup explanation of what the issue is.   No guarantees though.

As an example, I have a foreign tax carryover from last year and my Form 1116 Comp Wks reads (Not Done).  When I open the 1116 Comp Wks and click on the Errors at the top of the far left column a box pops up at the bottom of the worksheet telling me the error is because the carryover "requires Form 1116, Schedule B, which will be available in a future product update."  So I get to wait.  I have a Schedule H-T also awaiting a final form, that one gives a date of March 17 for release.  I do not see a release date for the Form 1116 Schedule B.

Personally, I am more annoyed with Congress making changes to the IRC so late in the year the IRS cannot get the changes reflected in the forms.  I am very happy I am not an IRS employee attempting to translate Congressional legalese/gibberish into a form that actually works.  Mostly works.  If the Form delay is not due to Congressional tardiness, then I move to being annoyed with the IRS, and if not the IRS that is late then on to TT.

Howard,

To your specific questions, yes, you should be able to import your 2020 data from TurboTax to H&R Block.  I have never tried to do this, but H&R Block clearly states they can do that.

No, very little chance of a refund from either TT or Costco.  Tax software is excluded from Costco's usually very generous return policy.

A blog, "The Finance Buff" did a detailed comparison between TurboTax and H&R Block with respect to how they handle the foreign tax credit.   you might find it useful.

https://thefinancebuff.com/foreign-tax-credit-with-form-1116-in-turbotax-and-hr-block-software.html

One observation he makes is:

"TurboTax is more integrated with the 1099-DIV’s you already entered. H&R Block asks you to add up the foreign tax numbers yourself. Because you have to add up the foreign income anyway, you can add up the foreign tax numbers at the same time. H&R Block software also asks a number of questions that don’t apply to our simple scenario. It’s easy to click through those once you know they don’t apply."

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies