Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

E-file rejected due to ForeignTaxesPaidOrAccruedDt on Form 1116

Have a similar problem. After the final 1116 Form was added on  March 3,2022(for 2021 return, Form 1116 worksheet shows error in sum of Foreign Credit Tax Carryover, both AMT and Regular totals. 

This line is populated by turbo Tax. Checked the total shown and it is correct.

Sounds like there is a problem with the program. sure cannot correct this as e filer.

Yes, I see the same thing on my 1116.  And yes, also that the totals are correct for the Carry-Forward amounts.  And yes, TT is marking them in yellow-boxes/red-typeface as Errors.

There is another form, Form 1116 Schedule B, (new for 2021, you can view it on the IRS website) that must be used to calculate the Carry-Forward amounts.  And TT says that that form won't be available until 3/31/22.   So it's a long wait.  And that Schedule B has to be attached to Form 1116 so it's needed in order to file.

Here's the link to the TT schedule for forms availability-it does say that Form 1116 Schedule B will not qualify for e-file.  So I think you need to wait for 3/31 for the form to be available and then you will need to file by paper.   Unless TT changes something.

https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_fed_online_individual.html 

On the other hand the entry of "various" for countries where the tax was paid may stop e-file even though "various" is a totally legitimate entry.   So even if you don't have carry-forward it is still possible your e-file can get rejected due to "various."  Though TT may have fixed some of this.

The TT schedule of forms availability now says the 1116 Schedule B will be available 3/17 and still says e-file will be unsupported.  But you should check back on that link for any updates.

Nice find on the link and the willingness to scroll through so much to find Form 1116 Schedule B.  You'd think TT would sort it by Form number.  Maybe I just missed how sort capability is provided if it exists.  The page now says it will be available 3/10 and for e-file 3/11!  

Thanks, Foxbat.  

Good (new) news on the availability of 1116 Schedule B + e-file.  

I didn't see any way to sort by form name/number either.  I used the browser "find" function to locate it.   But then you had to know you needed to look for it.

Just opened TT and checked:  Form 1116 Schedule B has been now present and no longer showing an error code.  Thank you TurboTax!

There is some problem with schedule B. It shows in schedule B that 2020 adjustment can not be -ve.

But does not tell what is the solution. It is still showing sign"!"

Please tell me how to contact TT expert to solve this problem.

survij

I just downloaded the 3/10/2022 update and was able to successfully e-file with my completed 1116 form.

Well I successfully filled out 1116, but had to use the forms method. BUT, the foreign tax credit is higher than the foreign tax I paid on my mutual fund dividends. How can that be?  Anyone got any ideas?  I checked the worksheet twice and all looks correct.

Djszabo
Returning Member

My return was rejected because TT had identified an error in the Foreign tax credit carry over calculation. I was advised to wait for a software update on March 18 and then update my return and then refile. Perhaps this is related to your issue as well.  

Hhhhmmmmm, seems plausible.....I will hold off till then, thanks

Perhaps you have a carryover from last year.  Check Form 1116 Part III line 10 for an entry and see if that is the difference.  Line 10 feeds from Form 1116 Schedule B, which was released last week.  

In addition, if you have TWO copies for any one kind of Form 1116 income (eg. TWO copies for Passive Income Form 1116), then TurboTax can't handle e-filing and you have to mail your entire return in.  This has been an unresolved issue with TT e-filing for years, so it does not look like they will try to fix it.

I was successful in eFiling my return with the 1116 last week. I only needed a single form for passive income. I had three separate mutual funds with foreign taxes reported on a 1099. I manually filled out the 1116 worksheet in the forms view. I lumped together all dividend and tax amounts for the three funds into a single column with the RIC designation as recommended by the IRS and made sure this properly linked back to the 1099.  This seemed to efile OK, whereas last year it was rejected.   So it looks like at least something has been fixed.

Thanks for a clear-cut message on this topic. I have listed "various" for foreign dividends from 2 brokerage accts., a column for RIC and then I have foreign taxes on 4 1099s for stocks which I own personally. Could not the latter be grouped into an additional various column so that they require only one page?  Alternatively, could the 4 stocks be lumped into the various column? At least the totals would be accurate and, if the IRS were to question, it would only require explanation and an amended form? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies