turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

E-file rejected due to ForeignTaxesPaidOrAccruedDt on Form 1116

To and from Deskandchairs

Update to my comment on TaxAct.  Apparently I misunderstood the products available.

TaxAct does have downloadable versions: https://www.taxact.com/tax-preparation

The PC Magazine review appears to have been based on the online version, but stated that in such a way that I thought it was a defining characteristic.  Sorry for the confusion.

The PC Magazine reviews are rather detailed in that they try to explain the experience one has with each product.  But certainly not down to the level of detail of discussing foreign taxed income/tax credit reporting

Thank you for the update!

The other not-so-well-known fact is that the TurboTax versions differ between online and download.  I've been able to do everything I need, including a couple of K-1s and Schedules C and SE (along with 1116 of course), from the Deluxe download version even though some of those forms don't work properly if one is using the online Deluxe version.  No need for Premier for me.    I believe that Premier does provide some additional guidance related to these topics, but everything I need is in the Deluxe version.

DavidUhrich
Returning Member

How do I use the Forms entry method (vs step by step)?    Thank you.

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

You can only access to the Forms mode method if you are using the desktop edition.  If you are referring to editing information in the Forms mode, here are the steps:

• In desktop program, open up your tax return if you have not already done so.
  • At the right upper corner, select Forms 
  • To your left, you would see a list of all the tax forms and worksheets, scroll down and select.

For more information on override and accuracy guarantee, click here: Override

@DavidUhrich

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the info. I also went crazy with the form 1116 constantly causing a rejected return, usually within 5 minutes. I had previously done all of the steps you outlined before seeking out your help. As with you, I have filed TT with the same two foreign stocks for years using various with no issues. The answer was the various dividend dates were causing my rejections. Once I used 12/31/2020 the return didn't instantly get rejected. Now awaiting a hopeful acceptance.

Good to hear it worked!

I just hit the same issue when I went to e-file today. I will try your "solution" Foxbat.  I have a simple 1099-DIV with some mutual fund and PTP foreign tax paid.  

It may take a couple of attempts to get it all correct, but high probability you will ultimately be successful.  Post back to let the rest of us know if you were successful and if possible what correction worked for you.

If successful, give me a thumbs up.  If not, sorry I could not help you in finding a solution.

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

There are e-file issues with the Form 1116 in general including the Form 1099-DIV and AMT. They are not fixed yet, unfortunately.  To sign up for notification, click here:  Form 1116 reject error

I will suggest you either print to paper file or file extension:  https://turbotax.intuit.com/irs-tax-extensions/

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

LinaJ2020,

For many of us users there is a workaround to the TT programming problems with the Form 1116 and related AMT forms.  Most, but not all, are able to file electronically by following the steps outlined in the solution on page one of this thread that I (Foxbat) posted and was marked as a best solution (OK, the only solution -- the others substantiate the problem).  Many who have followed the suggested workaround/solution steps, including myself, have been able to successfully efile.  Paper filing is always an option, but one that neither we filers or the IRS are fond of.

The workaround steps I set forth do require attention to detail, something that TT is normally very good at doing for us so we do not have to do this sort of stuff.  We are all looking forward to when TT does its magic and the need for this thread goes away.

Thanks Foxbat.  I went through and manually edited 1116 worksheet in the forms mode and with the help of your guidelines have successfully e-filed.  My problem was that the step by step mode had not filled out 1116 correctly. I had some RIC income and foreign tax and some dividends from foreign corp. TT lumped the tax payments for these together and did not tie them back to the 1099-DIV correctly.

Great to hear you got it to work for you!  Well done!

Lina,

If you are indeed a paid employee of TurboTax, you might want to print this out this thread and take this back to your employers.  You suggest that we sign up for notifications. Many of us here on this thread have done so long time ago, and have not received a single communication. Turbotax has not had even the courtesy to send out a "Sorry guys, we're still working on it" note.  We were expecting better of Turbotax. The way they have handled this issue, and the way they continue to handle, has been very disappointing.  Some of us are questioning as to why we should trust Turbotax going forward.

To Lina:

I second the comment made by Radtree in response to your post.

Given that Turbotax has not fixed this well established problem yet, those of use who faced this situation are beginning to wonder if it will be fixed by the time next year' edition is rolled out?  Absent some update to those of us who signed up for notification, with assurances that the bug has been identified and fixed, I believe you will have a customer confidence problem.

Gsgris

I had the exact same problem with e-file rejected related to Vanguard International funds.  I tried all the steps above after 4 rejections, the change that appears to have corrected the problem was changing the word "various" under the date dividends were paid" on Form 1116 to a specific date.  Vanguard doesn't report the date paid so I just entered 12/31/2020 and the e-file was finally accepted on the 5th attempt.  I sure hope TurboTax can get this fixed!!  I spent several hrs trying to identify the problem and make the changes.   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies