turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

E-file rejected due to ForeignTaxesPaidOrAccruedDt on Form 1116

Same here, when I redid the foreign tax section and opted not to use the simplified AMT calculation, my return was finally accepted. The foreign tax refund amount wasn't any different in my case for simplified vs. not simplified, and answering the additional questions was easy; in my case all the defaults were still correct. Thanks everyone for your help!

I have used the simplified calculation in the past and thus am told that I cannot switch away from it without permission from the IRS. I see that some of you are willing to take this risk, but I personally do not consider this a valid solution. So I am still waiting to see if TurboTax will fix the issue before giving in and filing by mail.

Are there others out there still waiting for TurboTax to fix it? Anyone know of updates from them on estimation of when it will be fixed?

I am in the same position and waiting... for now.

I have the same problem.  Mine is also rejected with the same error message.

Same problem here

I just have foreign income and E-file is rejected as per the title of the thread:

/Return/ReturnData/IRS1116/ForeignTaxCreditSource/ForeignTaxesPaidOrAccruedDt
- date is correct as 12/31/2020 in 1116 exactly the same as last year. 
- format of all fields on 1116 (standard and AMT) looks exactly the same as last year. 
I don't import any data - all just manually entered in Turbotax Premier
And I don't want to have to ask the IRS to stop doing simplified AMT method. 

Gave up on waiting for simplified fix, converted to other option and return was accepted. Only change in figures I noticed was a smaller amt carryover value. However not subject to amt so doesn’t really matter.

I have the same problem.  Turbo Tax still hasn't fixed the problem.  Today is March 11.  Filing a paper copy is a very poor solution, Turbo Tax

Success! I installed the update from this morning (3/11) and manually changed the date from 12/31/2020 to 12/30/2020 and it got accepted. No idea of whether it was  the update, the date change, or just random luck. I was able to keep the the "simplified" AMT method. 

I have been experiencing the same trouble with a troublesome 1116 form. I called Turbotax support and after a bit of going around in circles they had me look at the Date Accrued entry in Part II ("various"). They suggested I change the date -- I entered 12/31/2020, and resubmitted. 30 minutes later the tax return was accepted. Problem solved

I've been stuck on submitting my return for a week now, following this thread.  I finally decided to call TurboTax today so I could finish.  Here's how "great" my experience was:

1. Support Person 1: She was actually pretty good.  We did a screen share, went through the "Step-by-Step" on my Foreign Tax Credit.  We also changed the date from 12/31/2020 to 12/30/2020.  That didn't work.  Unfortunately, I let her get off the call before I got the rejected email a few minutes later.  She said she'd leave some notes in my account for future reference (not that that did any good).  This took about 20 minutes.
  2. Support Person 2: This guy was terrible.  He couldn't find my account.  He seemed to not be paying attention (I think he was watching TV or something); I had to keep repeating myself and there were many times where he'd be silent for literally minutes until I'd say something like "So did you want me to do something now?".  He also originally wanted me to download something called "glence" from http://share.turbotax.intuit.com/ which just redirects to https://turbotax.intuit.com/referral/, a referral bonus page.  I kept saying I couldn't understand what "glence" was (I later realized he meant "glance", which is the tech behind TurboTax's share screen feature).  In any case, I wasn't about to download some random screen sharing program to share my whole screen - I told him I'd just share it the way the other support person did.  He also made me restart my computer, claiming it was necessary after installing TurboTax updates.  Anyway, he was very unhelpful and his attitude was bad.  In the end, he said to just mail it in (btw, my return is 70 pages!).  I think this took about 30 minutes.
  3. Support Person 3: He was pretty good.  He initially also had some problems finding my account, but it worked eventually.  We spent almost 2 hours trying various things, looking at different forms, the format of the date (12/31/2020 vs 12/31/20 - the worksheet actually says mm/dd/yy - not that it lets you change that), etc.  He originally also said that this was weird and I'd have to mail it in, but I got a bit more aggressive (this is their software - shouldn't there be someone there who can fix it?) and he did a bunch more things on his end with someone else to look into it (I'm not sure what exactly).  In the end, he transferred me to a "Tax Expert" who he said would go line-by-line to look at it.
  4. Tax Expert: This started out promising, but it seemed like she didn't have any context from Support Person 3, so I had to explain again.  She also didn't go line-by-line; though she did look through the actual form and said everything looked correct.  After about 30 minutes, she also said that I'd likely have to mail it in.  I then tried to get aggressive again about how bad of a solution that is.  She kept repeating how TurboTax says it's all correct using their "SmartCheck" (as if that's somehow infallible).  Eventually, she mentioned that because my return was rejected, any subsequent return now counts as an amendment, which uses form 1040-X instead of 1040; and the IRS isn't accepting those until March 25 (2 weeks from now) and that's the "real" reason it's getting rejected now.  Apparently the website version (which she kept trying to get me to upgrade to - the line-by-line apparently can only be done there too) makes this clear and even stops you; but the Desktop version doesn't do any of that.  I suggested they should let the technical support people know as that would have saved me a few hours; and her reply was that that's not part of their job and this is all public information that I could have looked up (she was very condescending, and it's not like it's clear TurboTax is filing an amended return when I try again).  She insisted that I should just mail it in instead of waiting until March 25 because that can take 2 weeks anyway.

So I suppose I'll wait 2 weeks; but I'm guessing I'll still be in the same boat...  That amended return thing makes no sense to me if it was rejected; and clearly other people in this thread are not running into that.  I'd really rather not mail it in because it's 70 pages and less secure.  

Edit: I looked into that March 25 amended return stuff, and it sounds like that's complete nonsense.  You only have to file an amended return if you need to update something after it's been accepted and after the deadline.  There is a "superseding return" that can be filed after an accepted return but before the deadline.  But if the return is rejected, it's like it was never filed.

WH11
Level 2

I had the same problem several weeks ago.  I spent several hours online and on the phone with Turbo Tax.  I think they escalated the issue to supervisor level and they were supposed to look into it.  Does anyone  know if the March 4 or March 11 Turbo Tax updates fixed the issue?  Next scheduled update is March 25.  Thanks!

@WH11 

I filed successfully on Mar 11 after an update that happened that day. I do not know whether the update made a difference or not. There seems to be a certain randomness about the rejection. If the date is set to "various" it will always get rejected since the IRS requires (as of 2021) an actual date in that field. If there is a real date in there it seems to be hit or miss with no discernable reason. 

The issue with Form 1116-AMT not having the country filled in correctly is still there after the March 11 update.

Agreed. This problem happens if you are submitting a "correct" 1116 form, need to have an AMT form, and are using the simplified method for AMT calculation (and if you have in previous years you have to ask the IRS if you want to change the method).  I have not seen anyone say they have been successful with this combination (which is if you are a foreign relatively high income earner using simplified AMT method). Although there was apparently an update to Turbotax yesterday (Thurs 11th) the same problem is still there. I submitted this morning and got an immediate rejection:

/Return/ReturnData/IRS1116/ForeignTaxCreditSource/ForeignTaxesPaidOrAccruedDt

And BTW its not necessarily the Country - that wasn't filled in on last years form either (it's only on the non-AMT Form 1116). 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies