Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does Turbotax carry over my box 14 W-2 data from my Federal to State Return

The only reason I ask is that because I input my box 14 W-2 data on my Federal return, but then TT asked me to add back my box 14 data on my state return. When I looked at my box 16 wages though, without adding the box 14 data again, TT had my correct state wages.

It's unclear if I need to add this twice, however my gut is telling me that if I do TT will be double counting my box 14 data and therefore overstate my state wages for my NJ return.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Often the box 14 data is for informational purposes only but in the case of state tax matters it may have some significance.  You mention that your state wages are correctly entered, but the box 14 information may affect other things. If you can clarify what information and/or codes are listed in your box 14 entries we may be able to be of more assistance. Also, what state you are filing for?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hey thank you for the reply! This is for NJ, the box 14 info is for Pens 414h and Sec 125, which I know NJ adds back to taxable income.

The issue I was having was that Turbotax tells me to free-form enter the box 14 data, but at the same time my state taxable income matches my box 16 (which I calculated is my Federal income + the box 14 line items added back in) on W2 leading me to believe it’s already captured from when I input the box 14 data in my Federal return, so I don’t want to double count by accident.

Thank you for any help!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies