turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cowan

Do we report my daughter who is a college student and dependent on us, her 1089-T on our taxes and hers?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Do we report my daughter who is a college student and dependent on us, her 1089-T on our taxes and hers?

The Form 1098-T is entered on your tax return only if you are claiming her as your dependent.

cowan

Well it stated that she would need to claim the scholarship portion because room and board is taxable? Does that sound right?

Yes, if any portion of the scholarship was used for room and board that amount is taxable income on her tax return.  So she would also have to enter the 1098-T on her tax return but make sure that she indicates on her tax return that she can be claimed as a dependent.

cowan

Thank you for clarification😊

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies