turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to file extension for 2019. My husband and I are separated. We had been filling Married/Joint. He said he was filing for a 2019 extension as Married/Seperate. I have no income.

Do I Need to file a 2019 extension too?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JuttaS
Employee Writer

Do I need to file extension for 2019. My husband and I are separated. We had been filling Married/Joint. He said he was filing for a 2019 extension as Married/Seperate. I have no income.

It doesn't sound like you do - if you have no income and your husband is filing his own return under Married Filing Separate status, there's no need for you to file a return for yourself, hence no extension.

An extension just gives you more time to file, but I can't see why you'd be filing anyway.

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

If you have no income and will not be required to file a return, an extension is not necessary.  If you aren't sure, you can file one anyway (it won't hurt anything).  You can file one quickly, for free, here: TurboTax Easy Extension.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies