Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I have to file a state return? Living outside the US

Some short details to my situation:

I have moved from the US (Texas) to Europe about 33 years ago as a young child.

I have never lived in the US since then, only visited short times as vacations since then.

However I applied to receive my SSN in 2013 in Alabama, it being sent to my family's address. I have never lived there though. Always have been living in Europe.

I have filed federal income returns since I had income using the foreign income exclusion. However TurboTax always keeps reminding me to file a state tax return.

When I google it, I find that I do not have to file State taxes, as I do not qualify as an Alabama resident nor do I have Alabama related income.

Can someone maybe help me out on this one? 

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
LeticiaF1
Expert Alumni

You only have to file a state return if you had income from that state, if you did not then no state filing is required for you.  In TurboTax , if you have not started a state return you can simply skip it and just file your federal return.  If you already started a state return,  you can delete it as long as you have not paid the fees yet.

To delete it:

1. Sign in and open a section of your return.
  2. From the menu, select State and then select Continue on the Let's get your state taxes done right screen.
  3. On the Status of your state returns screen, select Delete next to your state, then answer Yes.

If you would like more information on state filing requirements see the TurboTax help article below:

Do I need to file a state return?

Thank you so much. That does make a lot of sense and gives me a feeling of security.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies