Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I have to file a non-resident Oregon return if I signed up for health insurance through the Oregon marketplace?

I'm a California resident going to school year round in Oregon. I'm not working, so I don't have earned income, but I have passive income from stocks and bonds. I am filing a California state return but my understanding is that because I did not earn any wages in Oregon, I do not have to file an Oregon non-resident state return.

When in California, I had health insurance through Covered California. When I got to Oregon, I signed up for local health insurance through the Oregon marketplace exchange. Because I'm now receiving health insurance through the Oregon marketplace, do I have to file an Oregon non-resident state return? Will this affect my California state return in any way?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Do I have to file a non-resident Oregon return if I signed up for health insurance through the Oregon marketplace?

No, if you do not have income, having insurance is not listed as one of the requirements for filing a Non Resident Oregon tax return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks. Does this affect my California state return though? California has Form 3853 for Health Coverage Exemptions and Individual Shared Responsibility Penalty I have to file to calculate a penalty if I didn't have health insurance coverage. But my health insurance is through the Oregon marketplace not Covered California. I can't find anything in the instructions for Form 3853 about what to do if my health insurance is out of state.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies