turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I have to file a new jersey tax return if I had no nj income and I don't owe money and of course am not getting a refund? Seems a little unclear

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DS30

Do I have to file a new jersey tax return if I had no nj income and I don't owe money and of course am not getting a refund? Seems a little unclear

It depends but if you are a resident of NJ, you will need to consider all income from all sources (not just NJ sources) when determining your NJ gross income.

If you are a resident of NJ, according to the NJ department of revenue, you are required to file an NJ resident state income tax return if:

• your filing status is married filing jointly and your gross income from everywhere for the entire year was more than the filing threshold of $20,000. (single/married filing separately - $10,000).

If you are a nonresident or NJ, then you would only have to file NJ sourced income.

If you do not meet the filing requirements for NJ, then you will not have to file in NJ.

If you can, go back into TurboTax, under the state taxes tab and delete NJ from your list of state returns. If not just don't file the NJ state tax return.

If you purchased an NJ state income tax return in error, you will need to contact customer support to request a refund.

To contact customer support if you're using TurboTax Online:

1. Start by signing in to your account (if you aren't already). Why do I need to sign in?
  2. Click Contact in the upper-right corner of your screen.
  3. Ask your question, and then:
  • Post it to our community of experts; or
  • Talk one-on-one with a live TurboTax Expert, CPA, or enrolled agent (requires the PLUS add-on if using Federal Free Edition).

If you're using the TurboTax CD/Download software or can't sign into your account, click here to contact us. Ask your question, click Continue, and follow our onscreen instructions

Do I have to file a New Jersey state income tax form if there’s zero refund and zero pay in

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

No, you don't need to file a New Jersey return if you had no NJ income (or paid any  tax there).  However, if you are New Jersey resident, you would report all your income and tax paid there (no matter where earned or paid).

NJ would give you a credit for tax paid to another state on income earned in that state. 

Here's more info on Why Would I File a Non-Resident Return?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies