turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Did TurboTax eliminate overrides for 2020 even on the CD/download products??? TurboTax Deluxe for Mac (not online)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

28 Replies
Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

Did TurboTax eliminate overrides for 2020 even on the CD/download products??? TurboTax Deluxe for Mac (not online)

In the TurboTax CD/Download software, you can override (replace) a calculated figure in Forms Mode. This feature is unavailable in TurboTax Online. Please see the TurboTax FAQ below for more information:    How do I override (replace) an amount calculated by TurboTax?

Only certain field on certain forms can be overridden.  Overrides both void the accuracy guarantee and and prevent e-filing.   

Why do you need to override what?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Hi Cass0317 -

Thank you for the reply. For 10 years I have overridden one line via forms. This year, the program won't let me. Yes, I am using download Mac version (see original post) and not online version which has never allowed overrides. Extremely frustrating for the download version to prevent me from overriding where I could in the past. My CPA has always told me to override this one line each year --- basically it is more of putting in a line entry for a blank line and not actually having to override a calculation, same difference though as it is done via override on the edit pulldown menu. I 100% understand that voids any "accuracy guarantee" or whatever - my CPA is more competent than the software program and could care less about any "accuracy guarantee". So losing the ability to override a line that I have been able to override for 10 years is a major major major pain. Next year I will most likely switch to TaxAct download because of the override functionality. There are clearly times when one should be able to override this amateur software as it is far from perfect.

In the past, one could override a calculated figure but now most have been eliminated which was an unwelcome surprise.

I have overriden the equivalent of Schedule 1 line 16 for years and this year Override is grayed out.

Is there an unlock for the override option in 2020 or another explanation?

@jjpaus wrote:

I have overriden the equivalent of Schedule 1 line 16 for years and this year Override is grayed out.

Is there an unlock for the override option in 2020 or another explanation?

Not new.   Schedule 1 could not be overridden in 2018 and 2019 either (in the Mac version - I don't have Windows to test).

Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 9.46.34 AM.jpg

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

That is EXACTLY my issue too. Self-employed and need to be able to deduct health insurance premiums as allowed under the tax code per my CPA (and as all self-employed are allowed) but I don't fill out a Schedule C etc so just override that line item for 10+ years. Now I can not.

The solution is to upgrade to Premier version, fill out a dummy K-1 then simply toss out the Schedule E after printing it out. There will be a few "0" on some lines now and up to you to white those out or not on the PDF before printing. "0" shouldn't matter though. You have to mail in the return anyway like in years past with any override. Allowing an override would have been so much easier! Next year may switch to TaxAct.

macuser_22

I appreciate you trying to be helpful, but you are not on the override subject. Not on this thread or on the other. We could do overrides in the past for this line item (either directly or via worksheet) - I have done it and so have others.

I would like to know how you did it then, because as my screenshot shows, the override box is grayed out in the 2019 software as it is in the 2018 software.  Ever since the IRS went to the new 1040 and new schedules.  Prior to 2018, it can be overridden on the old forms and schedules.

I just checked and it was prior to 2018 for Health Insurance, override was allowed in the Basic version for this value (I believe it was directly on the 1040).
In 2019 I used an upgraded version that allowed you to fill in Health Insurance.
In 2020, I just found where I had the 1099-NEC entered incorrectly. Once I fixed this, it allowed me to enter the value on Schedule C - Health LTC Wks. That transferred to Schedule 1 line 16.

Whew!

@jjpaus wrote:

I just checked and it was prior to 2018 for Health Insurance, override was allowed in the Basic version for this value (I believe it was directly on the 1040).
In 2019 I used an upgraded version that allowed you to fill in Health Insurance.
In 2020, I just found where I had the 1099-NEC entered incorrectly. Once I fixed this, it allowed me to enter the value on Schedule C - Health LTC Wks. That transferred to Schedule 1 line 16.

Whew!

Prior to 2018 was the old 1040 and schedules.   The new schedules have never allowed overrides.

That is NOT correct. TurboTax allowed overrides on the new schedules via 1040 worksheet as I did for those years until 2020. See screenshot of 2019 TurboTax Deluxe for Mac.TT Deluxe Override 1040 Worksheet.jpg

I am unable to override anything.  It is helpful to see what would happen if income was less etc to figure out estimated tax payments or other questions but without deleting W2s etc.

Is there any way to allow overrides?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

In the TurboTax CD/Download software, you can override (replace) a calculated figure in Forms Mode. This feature is unavailable in TurboTax Online.

Important:  Under normal circumstances, you shouldn't have to override anything. Returns that contain overrides cannot be e-filed and may not be covered under our 100% Accurate Calculation Guarantee. We're providing these instructions to customers who understand the risks, but wish to proceed anyhow.

For additional details, use the link below.

How do I Override an Amount Calculated by TurboTax

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Sorry Cynthia66, your answer is not correct. I order the CD/Download version specifically to be able to override calculated figures. This year (tax year 2020) it is extremely limited on what can be overridden. Previous years you could do what you posted. Not now though. Will be switching tax software next year if this is not corrected.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies