Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

raypchan
Returning Member

Daughter was full time student, had more than $2,200 of unearned income BUT also had EARNED income exceeded one-half of her support. How to answer "No" in the top of 8615

The filing requirement was posted on the top of 8615. I cannot check the "No" box to get rid of the 8615.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

Daughter was full time student, had more than $2,200 of unearned income BUT also had EARNED income exceeded one-half of her support. How to answer "No" in the top of 8615

Since you are stating your daughter provided more than half of her own support, you cannot claim her as a dependent.  To remove the form you need to remove her as a dependent on your tax return.

See Who can I claim as my dependent? for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
raypchan
Returning Member

Thanks for the fast response Alicia.

I deleted her from my Turbotax return. I opened up her return and it is not updated, still have the 8615. How do I force her return to recognize she is not a dependent on my return ? Do I just manually delete the 8615 from here return ?

Thanks

Ray

raypchan
Returning Member

I removed the 8615 from her tax return. It was ok for a while, refund increased. But when I tried to file it, after the federal "Smart Check" step, I got errors, all from 8615. Somehow Turbotax is adding back the 8615 and is asking me to fill in my info and my taxable income etc, and after that it increases my daughter's tax because her income is taxed at my rate.  How do I get rid of 8615 ?

ehhhhh...I'd be careful about that.

Earning more than half her support is not the same as actually Providing more than half of her own support.... meaning she actually spent her money on food, gas, housing, medical, tuition etc...such that more than half her support was actually provided by her..  so she may still be your dependent.

The calculations can get messy....certainly....check the descriptions of support in Pub 501.....and use the Worksheet 2 here:

Publication 501 (2021), Dependents, Standard Deduction, and Filing Information | Internal Revenue Se...

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies