turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

COVID-19 Distribution: How much of this distribution was a COVID-19 distribution?

When filling out the 1099-R section of TurboTax, the question comes up: "How much of this distribution was a COVID-19 distribution?"

1. My wife took out an early withdrawal from her IRA in January 2020, but did not specify that it was COVID-19 related (hopefully this does not matter!)

2.  I had reduced hours later in the 2020 year (June-Sept) as a result of COVID-19 impacting my line of work. 

I believe my wife's early IRA withdrawal should qualify as a COVID-19 distribution, because I had work hours reduced during the year. Is this correct?

My basis for this is from Notice 2020-50:

"In addition, pursuant to the authority of the Secretary to issue guidance to
provide for other factors under section 2202(a)(4)(A)(ii)(III) of the CARES Act, a
qualified individual for purposes of this notice is an individual who experiences
adverse financial consequences as a result of:
• the individual having a reduction in pay (or self-employment
income) due to COVID-19 or having a job offer rescinded or start
date for a job delayed due to COVID-19;
• the individual’s spouse or a member of the individual’s household
(as defined below) being quarantined, being furloughed or laid off,
or having work hours reduced due to COVID-19, being unable to
work due to lack of childcare due to COVID-19, having a reduction
in pay (or self-employment income) due to COVID-19, or having a
job offer rescinded or start date for a job delayed due to COVID-19;"

If my understanding is correct, and her withdrawal can be classified as a COVID-19 distribution, then the TurboTax question I cannot seem to find an answer to is: How much of the withdrawal is classified as a COVID-19 distribution?

During my research of the IRS site and TurboTax I could not find a definition for this amount. Ideally all of it would be eligible, but the question is being asked and therefore leads me to believe there's a way to calculate this amount. Is it equal to the lost wages from the reduced hours?

Thank you to anyone who can shed some light on this! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

COVID-19 Distribution: How much of this distribution was a COVID-19 distribution?

Because you had the reduction in income, you can designate as much of the distribution as you want.  The IRS has not provided any specific limitations on what the distribution must be used for.

Section 2202(a)(4)(A) of the CARES Act defines a coronavirus-related distribution as any distribution from an eligible retirement plan made on or after January 1, 2020, and before December 31, 2020, to a qualified individual.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Because you had the reduction in income, you can designate as much of the distribution as you want.  The IRS has not provided any specific limitations on what the distribution must be used for.

Section 2202(a)(4)(A) of the CARES Act defines a coronavirus-related distribution as any distribution from an eligible retirement plan made on or after January 1, 2020, and before December 31, 2020, to a qualified individual.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies