Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jrynecki
Returning Member

Colorado Tax filing question

I'll be traveling abroad for a year starting September 1st. I have been paying my dad rent at the property he owns, but does not live in, he hired a property manager to manage the property where I've been living for the last year. When it comes time to file taxes, can I use the address I was renting even though it will be rented by a tenant and managed by my dad's property manager? I know my dad will have to fill out a 1099 to claim income on the property for the tenant, I just do not want to confuse the IRS by saying it is my property as well (I am not on the deed, my father is).

I plan on forwarding my mail to my sister who also lives in Colorado, while I'm abroad I really won't have an address since I didn't actually "move". Really looking to do this right so nothing is lost in the shuffle and I'm in line with all rules and regulations. 

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You can use any mailing address that works for your purposes on your federal income tax return.

Where you actually reside is a different matter.

View solution in original post

Opinion:  I think you should use your sister's address (or father's if he lives in CO and agrees to monitor it for you). 

Don't depend on Post Office forwarding for a year ....if that's what you were thinking of doing.  PO forwarding is "supposedly" good for 6 mos, and possibly can be extended for a year. They do their best, but don't depend on it happening for all yoru mail, especially that long term.....mistakes happen, and the PO has been understaffed recently too.

If there ends up being any communications from the taxing authorities, either IRS or Colorado, that mail goes to the address on your tax return, and you need your sister to be there to get that info to you promptly should it be necessary.  IF you end up being due some kind of refund, certainly direct deposit works....BUT...if any errors at all happen for that deposit, they'll end up mailing the refund to whatever address you provided (and sometimes PO forwarding is not allowed for official Govt documents).

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You can use any mailing address that works for your purposes on your federal income tax return.

Where you actually reside is a different matter.

Opinion:  I think you should use your sister's address (or father's if he lives in CO and agrees to monitor it for you). 

Don't depend on Post Office forwarding for a year ....if that's what you were thinking of doing.  PO forwarding is "supposedly" good for 6 mos, and possibly can be extended for a year. They do their best, but don't depend on it happening for all yoru mail, especially that long term.....mistakes happen, and the PO has been understaffed recently too.

If there ends up being any communications from the taxing authorities, either IRS or Colorado, that mail goes to the address on your tax return, and you need your sister to be there to get that info to you promptly should it be necessary.  IF you end up being due some kind of refund, certainly direct deposit works....BUT...if any errors at all happen for that deposit, they'll end up mailing the refund to whatever address you provided (and sometimes PO forwarding is not allowed for official Govt documents).

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

@SteamTrain wrote:

Based upon the specific facts presented, I wholeheartedly agree with @SteamTrain's opinion.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies