turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lambo72
Returning Member

Colorado Charitable Contribution Subtraction

I input all of my charitable contributions into the Federal deduction area.  When I do the Colorado taxes is shows $4258 charitable contributions.  Per the Colorado Income 48 charitable contribution subtraction then shouldn't I just subtract $500 from this $4258 to populate the Qualifying Charitable Contributions field??  I am confused because on this Colorado state tax window it says to only enter charitable contributions that were NOT entered with the federal taxes.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

No, this field is only for any contributions that are qualifying for Colorado that aren't already on your federal return. If you don't have any additional Colorado-only contributions (and most people won't), then don't enter anything.

Most taxpayers should just hit Continue on this screen, because the calculations are done automatically by TurboTax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rpmasson
Returning Member

Yeah I'm a bit confused too.  Nowhere on the CO DOR site does it say anything about excluding contributions that were entered on your federal return.  
If it is the case that you can't "reuse" them on your state return, why wouldn't you just put ALL of your contributions on the CO return and zero on your federal return? (Assuming you don't itemize of course).

rpmasson
Returning Member

Never mind - I think I answered my own question.  TT automatically copies the total of your contributions to the CO 104AD and properly enters the proper amounts on line 9.  The question in the state section of TT is "are there any MORE contributions that you didn't put in the federal return?"  For most people, that would be no.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies