turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Claiming step children

If my wife and I are married filing jointly, can I claim my 2 step children since they live with me for more than 50% of the year? Also when married filing jointly do my wife and I (in the eyes of the IRS) share an AGI? Or in other words are we viewed as one taxable entity? "
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Claiming step children

If your wife has the right to claim the children & since they lived with you more than 50% of the time, you can claim them.  When you enter their information, they are considered your children. For your AGI, it depends how you filed in 2017, if you filed a joint return in 2017  then you use the same AGI for both of you.  If you did not file a joint return in 2017, then use the separate AGI from each of your 2017 returns.

Claiming step children

If you and your spouse are filing a joint return then the children can be claimed as dependents on your joint return since you say they live with the two of you for more than 50% of the time.  A step-child is treated the same as your own child on your tax return.   If you filed a joint return for 2017, then the AGI is the same for both of you when you enter it for your 2018 return in order to e-file 2018.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies