turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Cmchauv

Claiming dependents

I have always claimed my daughter when my ex and I were together. When we split, he claimed her for his 2020 taxes without discussing it with me. To avoid any trouble, I did not claim her that year. He agreed that we would alternate years. I claimed her for 2021. However, I still have not received my tax return. What happens if he claimed her for 2021 too even with our agreement? I have proof via text where he acknowledged that 2021 is my year to claim her. I’m not sure if this has caused the hold up, but can I provide proof to the IRS in hopes of expediting my payment?

FYI, We do not have any legal arrangements in place. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Claiming dependents

If your 2021 was accepted he didn’t claim her at that time, otherwise your return would have been rejected. If he claimed her later than that time, you will be notified by the IRS. 

Michele_H
Employee Tax Expert

Claiming dependents

Hi @Cmchauv Have you been in contact with the IRS to see why you have not received your tax refund?  If not I would suggest getting in contact with them to see what the delay is.  They are running behind and there may be a chance this is why you have not received a refund yet.  Have you received any communication from the IRS stating there would be a delay?

All the Best

Michele

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Cmchauv

Claiming dependents

Yes, I received two notices each saying it was delayed another 60 or 90 days but haven’t received any correspondences since. It’s well beyond that time frame at this point. I have tried getting in touch a few times with no luck. 

Cmchauv

Claiming dependents

Yes, it was accepted. Could the delay be due to technically getting “my 2021” advance child care credit? Remember, he claimed her in 2020 so he got the monthly payments. I did not receive any, but 2021 is my year to claim. 

SuziM

Claiming dependents

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies