turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rniccola1
Returning Member

Claiming dependents

I live with my daughter and I am single and my only income is social security. Can my daughter take me as a dependent on her income taxes ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Claiming dependents

It depends on how much social security you receive

If less than $4150 then yes (if all the other qualifications are met)

If over $4150 then no

But best for your daughter to simply add yiu and run through all TT’s questions to make sure

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Claiming dependents

@miccola1 See this link for the rules to be claimed as a dependent

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Claiming dependents

@NCperson- That is not correct.

Non-taxable income (such as Social Security) is not included in the $4,150 amount.   Non-taxable income is included in the support test and is support supplied by the dependent for the "more than half of total support test".

See IRS Pub 501 page 18 "Gross Income Test".

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Claiming dependents

@rniccola1  ,

You can be a dependent of your adult child if your adult child provides more than half your support, and if your taxable income is less than $4150.  Social security is not taxable income but it is included in support.  There is a support worksheet in publication 501 that may help.  https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-publication-501

Briefly, add up your total support needs; travel, clothing, entertainment, medical care.  Your food and housing would be a portion of the food bill, utilities, insurance, and rent for the home where you live with your daughter.  (If 5 people live in the home, 1/5 of the expenses count as your support.)  After adding up all your support needs, determine who pays for them (you, your daughter, charities, government aid, and so on).  If your daughter provides more than half your total support, she can claim you as a dependent.

It is not necessary that you live in the same home as your adult child for her to claim you as a dependent.  But the fact that you do live there more than half the year will allow her to use you as a qualifying person for head of household status, if she is otherwise eligible (unmarried, maintaining her own home, etc.)

rniccola1
Returning Member

Claiming dependents

Thank you so much for your reply. The only problem I’m having understanding  is if my social security is to be considered as support for me. The only money I have coming in is from my Social Security benefits which is more than $4150 per year. So Am I to take it that I do not qualify for my daughter to take me as a dependent even though I live with her all year?

Claiming dependents

You have to add up all your support needs, and then determine if your daughter provides or pays more than half your support.  Look at the worksheet on page 15 here https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf

For example, suppose you live in a house owned by your daughter that would rent for $1500 a month, and other household expenses for food, utilities and repairs are $300 a month.  You live there with your daughter and her two children.  1/4 of that living expenses is yours, which is $450 per month.  Then, your clothing, medical expenses, entertainment and travel are another $800 per month.   Your total support need is $1250 per month.    Then look at your income.  Suppose your social security is $1000 per month but you spend $200 per month on your grandchildren and donate $200 per month to your church.  You provide $600 per month toward your own support.  Since your total support is $1250, you provide less than half.  As long as your daughter is the only other person supporting you, she pays "more than half".

Claiming dependents

Social security is support you provide to yourself, if you spend it on your own living expenses.  If you don't use it for your own living expenses, then it is not support for your living expenses.  (For example, if you are paying alimony, or donating money to your church, or providing gifts to grandchildren, that is not money you are using for your own support.)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies