turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

"Check this entry: Link to QBI Worksheet must be entered." What should I input if I don't want QBI Worksheet? I already deleted QBI Worksheet from Tool.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
GiseleD
Expert Alumni

"Check this entry: Link to QBI Worksheet must be entered." What should I input if I don't want QBI Worksheet? I already deleted QBI Worksheet from Tool.

It sounds like you have income that will provide you with the Qualified Business Income Deduction. This could save you money in tax! 

If you don't have any business income, this might originate from some of your dividends. Did you receive a 1099-DIV for 2019? 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

if you have a loss for QBI purposes and delete the form the loss may not carry over to next year which is required.  should you have income from the same source you could end up with an overstatement of your QBI deduction. this could result in a substantial underpayment of your taxes and if caught the penalties and interest could be substantial. 

i have passive loss in tax yr 2019 1,005 buy my qbi didnt carry over like it both did for  2018 tax yr (USED TT ALL THE TIME)

do i just copy $1,005 into qbi col or if not where do i dind that value in my 2019 tax year return?!

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

You can enter your passive loss carryover from 2019 by using these steps:

TurboTax Online

1. On the Wages & Income screen, scroll down to Other Business Situations.
  2. Click the Start/Revisit box next to Net Operating Loss/QBI Carryforward Loss.
  3. On the next screen, 2019 Net Operating Loss, remove any number in the Net Operating Loss Carryover box.
  4. The next screen, 2019 Qualified Business Income Loss Carryovers, will allow you to remove any numbers for the QBI business loss carryforward.
  5. Click Continue when done.

TurboTax Home & Business (CD/Download)

1. While in your return, click the Business tab.
  2. In the Less Common Business Situations section, click the Start/Revisit box next to Net Operating Loss/QBI Carryforward Loss.
  3. On the next screen, 2019 Net Operating Loss, remove any number in the Net Operating Loss Carryover box.
  4. The next screen, 2019 Qualified Business Income Loss Carryovers, will allow you to remove any numbers for the QBI business loss carryforward.
  5. Click Continue when done.

@zenmster

HI Thank you for replying but I"m confused:

1. I'm trying to get my tax year 2020 returns done

2. HOWEVER, the 2020 returns are telling me I need to fill in the QBI for 2019 tax year returns. 

3. 2018 tax year transferred over automatically but not the 2019 tax year returns 

4. I always use TT since 2011ish

5. SO I need to find out where the QBI is in my 2019 tax year returns but seems like ...what ? you're telling me i have to use TT 2019 and update/amend those returns to get the right 2019 tax year QBI? 

6. I"m very confused. ESPECIALLY since my 2018 TT tax year info was automatically transferred into my 2020 TT Tax year return BUT this did not transfer my 2019 TT tax year info. 

Please advise thank you in advance. 

and sounds like claiming QBI for even a 100% full time rental property is a big NO-NO. 

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

If you are reporting the rental income as your trade or business, it will be eligible for the Qualified Business Income deduction. 

If you feel this is in error, you'll need to indicate that you do NOT materially participate in the rental activity in the TurboTax program. 

wait i keep reading the IRS doesnt view/define rental property as eligible for qbi. i have been renting out this prop 100% of the time starting in 2013 so its a real rental but its only one unit/property. i dont own 2 or 3 or more rental properties. 

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

The safe harbor was first introduced to clarify the expectation for real estate rentals in early 2019. They are placed here for your convenience. the 100% rental use is not as much of a factor as whether this would be considered a 'trade or business' for QBID. Review the rules below to make your decision for your rental property.

The IRS finalized the safe harbor rules for rental properties

This safe harbor is available for taxpayers who seek to claim the section 199A deduction with respect to a "rental real estate enterprise." Solely for purposes of this safe harbor, a rental real estate enterprise is defined as an interest in real property held to generate rental or lease income. It may consist of an interest in a single property or interests in multiple properties. The taxpayer or a relevant passthrough entity (RPE) relying on this revenue procedure must hold each interest directly or through an entity disregarded as an entity separate from its owner, such as a limited liability company with a single member.

The following requirements must be met by taxpayers or RPEs to qualify for this safe harbor:

1. Separate books and records are maintained to reflect income and expenses for each rental real estate enterprise.
  2. For rental real estate enterprises that have been in existence less than four years, 250 or more hours of rental services are performed per year. For other rental real estate enterprises, 250 or more hours of rental services are performed in at least three of the past five years.
  3. The taxpayer maintains contemporaneous records, including time reports, logs, or similar documents, regarding the following: hours of all services performed; description of all services performed; dates on which such services were performed; and who performed the services.
  4. The taxpayer or RPE attaches a statement to the return filed for the tax year(s) the safe harbor is relied upon.
    • Can I get QBID for my rental income?
      • ​​​​​​​To change the answer or review your selections you can use the steps below. 
      • Open your TurboTax return > Search (upper right) type rentals > Press enter > Click the Jump to ... link 
      • Edit next to your rental activity > Scroll to Qualified Business Income > Edit/Update > Continue to answer the questions 
      • Make your selection based on your decision considering your facts and circumstances
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies