Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

bob7503

Check says Hdeduc is marked as estimated but it doesn't show and I can't unmark it.

Thanks to the community for answering this.   I just deleted the Medical Expense Worksheet, which was immediately regenerated without the "hdeduc estimated" error.  As someone noted, we are fortunate that the obscure term leads us here.
maglib
Level 11

Check says Hdeduc is marked as estimated but it doesn't show and I can't unmark it.

@imsoevil  any chance you have an estimate somewhere else where your AGI is then not final which then creates that the medical expense overall limitation can't be calculated?  I'm having same issue and asking TT and so far this is all I can come up with.  I deleted and removed the forms and I also manually updated the program to no avail.  I submitted a token file to TT to see if they can come up with something.

This board is normally just volunteers. and posting on old threads is never a good thing, always start a new one if you didn't get an answer that worked within an old thread.
**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
Alik
Level 1

I do, in fact, have one  more item still marked as estimated that may affect AGI. you make a good point. We'll have to wait and see what happens once I can fix that other item. Still though, that's really bad programming on TurboTax as part a needs to be fixed.it should not be getting errors based on the fact that some other completely unrelated item which it already  flagged is also estimated.
maglib
Level 11

I'm agreeing with you.  I tried to fix mine and am still having the issue myself.  I'm just a user, unpaid by TT trying to help out. Hoping TT can resolve. Possibly can you send a token file to TT which will remove all personal information so they can see multiple users with the same issue?  Post the token number and I will let them know.  To send token you go to top choose ONLINE and send file to agent.  I won't have access but TT support team will and if you post the token I will let them know to look for it.
**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
fagerlie
Returning Member

This is the second year in a row I've run into this stupid error "Hdeduc is marked as estimated".  IT"S NOT MARKED AS ESTIMATED, you tech support people at Intuit who deem yourself to be software engineers but don't even qualify to empty waste paper baskets for programmers' aids.  FIX THE BLEEPING BUG!!!

Like many mhammer, I have used this software since it was first introduced and I find more bugs every year.  I also encountered another “showstopper",  I had sold some shares of mutual funds and it is absolutely unreasonable to not accept the answer of “Various” as the date acquired when the shares have been accumulating for many years, there is one box and I have over 100 dates. Go figure.  This is my last year of enduring this frustration, next year an accountant gets my business.

In FORMS view, I deleted the supporting details for the line with the error and entered the total without any details. It still reported the field as an error, so I marked it as Estimate (F8), still flagged as an error, but when I Unmarked it as an estimate, the error disappeared!

Called customer service and found an easier solution - Use the step-by-step method to review all the entries on the Medical Expenses Worksheet.  I didn't have to change anything just click through each step again.  We were looking any field shown as estimated (found none) and when we got to the end the red exclamation point (!) indicating an error was gone.  I was then able to file my return.  

I don't know what made it go away but since it shouldn't have been there anyway, I assume we somehow bypassed the bug.  Hope this works for others.   

I ran into this same problem, and had been through the step-by-step process multiple times.  Removing the worksheet 'solved' the problem, but I was not happy to have to re-enter all the values on the worksheet.  I also don't believe that I had ANY medical entries ever marked estimated.  I had one area that had a worksheet behind it (in which I deleted all the entries).  Pretty ridiculous to have to do this to fix a coding error.  

mmhaupt1

I can't believe this is still an issue in the 2019 TT software!!  I just tried to file and I get a HDEDUC error related to claiming I have marked a field as estimated, and it is not marked that way!!  How is it possible this is still going on with the software???

sftypro

Same problem here with TT 2019....now three plus yeenars and still Intuit doesn't  get 'tu-it" and fix the obvious continuing bug.

Checked every field in the Med Exp Wkst and NONE were marked as estimated.  Only entry was software generated from manual entry of 1099R forms.   Did enter initial $ amts as estimated before receiving actual 1099R forms.   When I entered the actual data, made sure to click "unmark estimated".

Appears software does not recheck this status in the link to the Med Exp Wksht form.  As other users suggested, went into form mode, deleted the Med Exp Wksht form, and now Smart Check shows no errors. 

Thank you for this response! (sjonescrg, ‎October 8, 2019 10:50 AM) It worked for me as well (in TT 2019 for Mac OS). Go to EasyStep, then go to Topic List, find Medical Expenses, and walk through the steps. I re-entered all of the numbers, but you may not even have to do that.

This bug prevents e-filing, so it really should be fixed.

sftypro

Intuit apparently does not care, as users have had same issue for at least past 4 years.  You are right, prevents e-filing if don't remove the med exp wksht!!   Have reiterated this issue in my TTax 2019 survey from Intuit.   Of course, no response to my comments.  Intuit must be trying to become the most hated company in America, which is usually Comcast 😀

I ran into the same problem.  The suggested workaround worked for me, but if Intuit has known about this problem for months (or years?), why don't they fix it.

Same occurred in my return. Revisited medical section in form view, stepped through each item pressing enter following each entry without changing a thing. At end of medical section following DONE with section, the error on the medical works worksheet disappeared. Thanks for the help via this forum.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies