turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Capital gains / divorce settlement

• Hi - I have a question about capital gains. My divorce was finalized in 2019 with the MSA agreement stating that the the net proceeds from the sale of the home will be divided 50/50. My ex husband is the only name on the title . His accountant is telling him that he can only use a single owner exemption of $250,000 on the capital gains. My question is why can we not use his $250000 and my $250000? The sale was part of our divorce settlement. We had a defined date of sale. He could not sell the house until our kids were 18. Putting us at a sale of august 2023. He now wants me to pay half of his tax liability. Thoughts? 
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

To be eligible for the $250,000 exclusion, you must have LIVED in and OWNED the home for 2 of the past 5 years.  While he meets that requirement, you wouldn't, so you wouldn't have a $250,000 exclusion.  

(I am assuming he lived in the home for 2 of the last 5 years, since you state the accountant indicated he was eligible for the $250,000 exclusion)

Suggest talking to your lawyer to see whether your are responsible for any capital gains tax liability from the home sale. 

Thank you for your response. I lived in the home as my primary residence with our children. So you are saying that because I wasn’t on the title that doesn’t make me an owner? Even though we have a contract to divide the net sale 50/50. If he had placed me on the deed he could have avoided the tax. 

Has anyone ever heard of a Nominee 1099s form? Could my ex use this form to file to avoid the tax. 

I am working with my attorney who believes that I am not responsible for the tax. We will need to resolve the matter in court. 

@Staylor2023 as I stated, the rule is that to be elgible for the $250,000 exclusion, you must OWN and RESIDE in the home for 2 of the past 5 years.  

Now that I understand the situation, 

• even though you meet the residence requirement, you don't meet the ownership requirement.
  • Your ex-husband meets the ownership requirement and meets the residence requirement (even if he did not live in the home) due meeting a special rule in divorce situations.   See page 4 - bottom left.  (this is why I suspect the attorney stated your ex was eligible for the $250,000)

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p523.pdf

Separated or divorced taxpayers. If you were separated or divorced prior to the sale of the home, you can treat the home as your residence if:
• You are a sole or joint owner, and
• Your spouse or former spouse is allowed to live in the home under a divorce or separation agreement and
uses the home as his or her main home. 

<<If he had placed me on the deed he could have avoided the tax. >>

yes, because you both would have satisfied the 2 of 5 rule for ownership AND residency. 

And in case you think about it, putting your name on the deed now, before the home sells, won't work, because you could not satisfy 2 years of ownership over the past 5 years :( 

He now wants me to pay half of his tax liability. Thoughts?  this is a legal question. Does the MSA say anything in this regard. from a tax standpoint he's responsible for 100% of any tax on the gain. 

The wording in the MSA does not reference capital gains . This is the wording in the MSA.

”the net proceeds shall be divided on a 50%-50% basis between the parties. 

the net proceeds shall be divided on a 50%-50% basis between the parties.

My ex is demanding that I pay half the tax. And my attorney is saying that I am not required to pay the tax. So we will need to go to court. A judge will have to read the language of the agreement and weigh-in as to whether or not he/she feels capital gains taxes should be deducted from the net proceeds.

@Staylor2023 how much is the tax versus the cost of the attorney? 

take (the capital gain less $250,000) times 15% (and could be as high as 23.8%, depending on your ex's income) and then take half of that - THAT would be your half in a worst case scenario.  How does that compare to the legal cost of fighting this in court or otherwise settling it? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies