turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Cant Activate Turbo tax deluxe on windows 10

@JR0707 wrote:

I have downloaded the deluxe app successfully. While trying to input my verification now, it will not allow me to place my cursor in the box to input the code. This is ridiculous, why pay for a service that does not work.

Are you using the version for Windows? If so, the problem in your activation screen may be due to a screen resolution or scaling problem in your Windows settings.

In Windows 10 to get to the scaling or resolution settings click the Windows start button in lower left corner, then choose Settings (gear icon), then System, then Display.   Or for a shortcut, you may be able to simply right-click on an empty area of the main Windows desktop monitor screen (not the TurboTax program screen) and in the popup menu choose "Display settings".

NOTE:  After you change the scaling or resolution setting as discussed below, you may need to close and relaunch TurboTax for the change to take place in that activation window.

First try the scaling setting.  In your Windows Settings do you have scale set to a higher value than the normal 100%?  If so, change it back to 100%. Once the license code is entered and activated, you can later change your scaling setting back like it was.

If lowering the scaling to 100% didn't help, then it may be screen resolution.  Try a lower screen resolution such as 800x600.   If that doesn't work, then try 1024x768.    If still not working, then gradually increase the screen resolution to the next level. Once you get the license activated, you can revert your resolution setting back like it was.

I think it is time to move on to another company.  Intuit has a cashcow. Many loyal and/or captive users. but it seems they want to slay the Golden Goose.  Even something as simple as getting a phone number for support is a fail. That link above takes you to a page with a "Go here" linked to a "Contact US" page which has no contacts on it. That's how much they care.

They have made it hard to be customers. They have become like the only restaurant at a tourist attraction.  They don't have to care in order to make money. There was a time when getting their phone number was no big deal, when installing the program was simple. Now I have to scramble around for a Win10 virtual machine because they have shut me out of Win7 "for my own good." And now I get nothing but blue dots . I will try your resolution trick, but don't hold your breath.  If I don't post an update, it means that it did not work.. My priority for next year is to not eat at the only restaurant in town.  I'm done.

karldoris
Returning Member

Tried all of this to no avail. Have the same problem on tt2019 but by scaling to a lower resolution it works. tt2020 however no matter what i set the resolution nothing works. New computer dell xps8940. my old computer no problem. help

karldoris
Returning Member

unfortunately I tried all of this nothing works. Get activation screen no blue dots and does nothing.

@ karldoris wrote:

unfortunately I tried all of this nothing works. Get activation screen no blue dots and does nothing.

Do you happen to use a VPN?   I read somewhere in the forum that a user reported his VPN was interfering with the activation, but that's strictly anecdotal.

If you've tried multiple lower resolutions and also have adjusted the Scale setting to 100%, and are still having problems with a blank, partially-blank, or non-functioning activation screen, here's how to phone TurboTax Support for realtime assistance.

Hours are currently 5AM-5PM Pacific (8AM-8PM Eastern) Monday-Friday.

You can use this contact form to get a phone number, or it may schedule a callback.
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

Good Morning All

here is the answer to your TT can’t activate question. I lived with this for months. The way it works (for me anyway) is you can NOT,  I repeat, can not have a flash drive or drive connected into a USB port when starting TT. So I took out my Flash Drive when starting up TT and it never asks again.  IHope this helps 

Doug

Good Morning All

Here is the answer to your TT can’t activate question. I lived with this for months. The way it works (for me anyway) is you can NOT,  I repeat, can not have a flash drive or drive connected into a USB port when starting TT. So I took out my Flash Drive when starting up TT and it never asks again.  I Hope this helps 

Doug

here is the answer to your TT can’t activate question. I lived with this for months. The way it works (for me anyway) is you can NOT,  I repeat, can not have a flash drive or drive connected into a USB port when starting TT. So I took out my Flash Drive when starting up TT and it never asks again.  IHope this helps 

Doug

JeanneB1

I am up against the deadline. Was on the phone all day, and still no resolution. My old computer died suddenly and I had to buy a new one.  The activation screen does come up but I cannot enter the codes. HELP. Was on the phone all day with customer support to no avail.

@JeanneB1 wrote:

I am up against the deadline. Was on the phone all day, and still no resolution. My old computer died suddenly and I had to buy a new one.  The activation screen does come up but I cannot enter the codes. HELP. Was on the phone all day with customer support to no avail.

If you're using Windows, a problem with the activation screen may be related to either a screen resolution or scaling problem in your Windows settings.  

In Windows 10 to get to the scaling or resolution settings click the Windows start button in lower left corner, then choose Settings (gear icon), then System, then Display.   Or for a shortcut, you may be able to simply right-click on an empty area of the main Windows desktop monitor screen (not the TurboTax program screen) and in the popup menu choose "Display settings".

NOTE:  After you change the scaling or resolution setting as discussed below, you may need to close and relaunch TurboTax for the change to take place in that activation window.

First try the scaling setting.  In your Windows Settings do you have scale set to a higher value than the normal 100%?  If so, change it back to 100%. Once the license code is entered and activated, you can later change your scaling setting back like it was.

If lowering the scaling to 100% didn't help, then it may be screen resolution.  Try a lower screen resolution such as 800x600.   If that doesn't work, then try 1024x768.    If still not working, then gradually increase the screen resolution to the next level. Once you get the license activated, you can revert your resolution setting back like it was.

Thank you for your response/support/encouragement, @mesquitebean . 

I just spent 30 minutes with TT tech support.

Blaming your video drivers is the first excuse, and then its your firewall, and then let's try uninstall-reboot-reinstall because "it might be a Windows 10 problem."

The "800x600, 100% scaling and click around and try to paste and cross your fingers until it works" is the official fix.

...and TT has no clue why.

Good luck to all!

I was able to activate turbo on an older computer with very little trouble (change resolution to 800x 600)nbut  on my new computer it was horrible.  I tried everything. Every resolution and everything else.  Finally got it activated but I don't remember how.  I remember problems with last year's activation and I hope next year they resolve the problem. it isn't fair, given the price we pay for turbo And what if we download windows 11.  It is turbo's responsibility to correct or resolve this.

1Panther
Returning Member

installing  turbo tax 2021 stops on activation

The screen resolution setting for 600x800 worked for TT2021 on Windows 10. TT has abug.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies