Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Cannot save tax file

Come out again and again, I can't save the file, How could?

image.png

awsmed
Returning Member

Cannot save tax file

Had the same issue.   Could not save file.  Lost all the information I entered and had to start from the beginning.  You have to save the file early in the process.  Don’t wait until you’ve entered everything and are ready for TurboTax to check your return for errors. 

Cannot save tax file

That issue has several resolutions already mentioned in this thread if you bothered to look.

In order of (my) preference:

* Allow TT to access the default save location under "My Documents", which is protected from malware by default. This is done pretty easily via the notification that shows up after you try to save, or by navigating to the Settings ... "Controlled folder access". The Block History link will show a list ordered by date. Couple more clicks and TT is allowed. If you have not exited TT, you can try to save again. No work lost.

* Save in a folder not covered by malware protection (i.e. not under Documents, Music, Videos, Favorites). The tax return file is obviously susceptible to compromise by malware that finds them.

* Disable "Controlled folder access" altogether, which exposes all folders mentioned above.

awsmed
Returning Member

Cannot save tax file

I did bother to look.  If this is a “Blocked file” issue, please explain how TT is able to save the tax file if you save it early in the data input process.  If the access is blocked, wouldn’t the same error continue to occur until I did what you instructed.  In addition, the error message is a little misleading in that it says TT cannot “find” the file.  How is TT supposed to “find” a file if you are saving it for the first time?  

Cannot save tax file

All the options I outlined earlier have been mentioned in this thread already.

When you encounter the error (I did again this year with my latest return, as in the past 2 years), you leave TT alone, fix the issue with the 1st option, go back to TT and now saving works.

I went through this again about a week ago. The first time it happened, the hardest part was finding this thread. Now, it's a 10 seconds delay...

I agree TT does not handle these errors gracefully (the messages make no sense) but as long as you're experiencing this particular issue, it's a delay at most. If you don't bail out of TT, you don't lose work.

awsmed
Returning Member

Cannot save tax file

Thanks Eric.

I opened the Windows Security app and did see a notification that TurboTax was blocked from accessing a "Controlled folder".  Still can't figure out why it can access it if you save your file early in the process.  It is true that the solution you provided would have saved me from having to re-enter all of my information.  Will definitely use this knowledge the next time it happens, because just like you, it's happened more than once.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies