Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

can you download your return without submitting it?

What I mean is: can I prepare my 2019 taxes in full and then download them, but not submit them (yet) to the IRS?  I'm happy to pay turbotax's fee, I'm not trying to avoid it, I just want to have a couple weeks to look over the full return before coming back and submitting it.

Oh, and of course I'd like to be able to come back and change things before submitting the return in case I find a mistake while I'm reviewing it.  This is possible, isn't it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Sure.....you just prepare everything you have so far.

...then go to the left side of the screen.

..to the menu and click on "Tax Tools" that expands and you click on the "Print Center" to start the print process, and it will ask you to pay for the software first. After that you should be able to print as many times as you want... (If you haven't started the state section yet, it may only be paying for the Federal software section, but that may depend on how far you've gotten into your tax prep).

One thing to note:  These directions are only for people using the "Online" tax software.  Before the "Tax Tools" selection will shows up, you have to be inside your actual 2019 tax file somewhere...not on the opening Home screen.  So you may need to "Continue" into your tax file when you first log into your account.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Thank you!  That's exactly what I needed to know.

I haven't actually done it myself...since I refuse to use the Online software..only the Desktop.

It usually asks you to register first, then there should be a pay selection....just don't go thru the final step of transmitting your tax return...that files it...

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies