turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can't open an old tax file

I have an 2015 tax file which I need to open.  I have the 2015 Turbotax application but it does not open the file without error messages.  I thought the file was corrupted but I opened Turbotax 2016 to see if it could read it and it was able to pull all the bio and AGI information to prepare a new 2016 return.  The Error 103 message states that the form is open (which it is not) and asks whether I want to create State Forms.  When I click yes, there is another error message.  Is there any way to get this file open?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

22 Replies

If you do not have the 2015 program completely installed and updated already since the program is no longer supported which means you cannot get any updates or state programming at this late date.  

Why should I save a PDF copy of my return?

Saving a copy of your return as a PDF (in addition to the proprietary tax data format TurboTax uses) lets you open, view, and print your return using the free Adobe Reader or Foxit Reader software.

This is a lifesaver if your tax data file gets corrupted or if you no longer have the TurboTax software to open it in. The government also accepts a paper-filed return printed from the PDF.

Please note that TurboTax PDF files cannot be "read" by the TurboTax software the way the tax data file can, which means they cannot be used for amending, troubleshooting calculation issues, or for full prior-year transfer capabilities.

If you have old .tax files you can try converting them to pdf files at  Www.Taxprinter.Com 

It might be expensive.  They are not connected with Turbo Tax.  Use it at your own risk.

So is the upshot - since I didn't save as a PDF 5 years ago (good advice for the future) - and if the 2015 application is no longer supported - then there's nothing I can do?

If you haven't resolved this yet: your bank should accept an IRS transcript of that year's tax data. That is probably the fastest and cheapest answer to the problem.

Pretty much so. I'm in the same situation with an old copy of 2015 Turbo Tax returns, but I am not able to open the 2015 Turbo Tax software I actually just downloaded from my website that stores all of my previous downloads. It crashes because of some JAVA changes Apple made in their subsequent OS software and TurboTax has no workaround.

I thought I had saved a PDF copy at the time, as I do every year, but cannot locate that copy so I'm pretty much screwed. I hope you have better luck.

@macuser_22    Any ideas ? 

Sorry, but there is no way to open 2014 or 2015 with Mac OSX 10.13.4 or later.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I was wondering whether there are any third-party software applications that will open such a file as "read only" perhaps, much like MS Word has other applications that will open its' files.

@MysticalRose wrote:

I was wondering whether there are any third-party software applications that will open such a file as "read only" perhaps, much like MS Word has other applications that will open its' files.

There is not.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Well, thanks, saves me some time, then.

There is one company that advertises on the internet that they maintain old computers that have all TurboTax versions going back to 1996 and will produce PDF's if you sent them the .tax file.    I understand their fee is rather pricey and I would never send my personal tax information to any 3rd party on the internet, but many people do and have reported good results.    I cannot personally recommend using them, but they have been in business for years.

https://www.taxprinter.com/

"If you have old .tax files you can try converting them to pdf files at  Www.Taxprinter.Com 

It might be expensive.  They are not connected with Turbo Tax.  Use it at your own risk."

So, I just tried this service. They advertise that it is "money-back guarantee" if they can't open your file, you will get your money back, cost $49.99 to upload my 2015 Turbo Tax file. They claim they can provide a PDF copy in two days, so I'll let everyone know if this service works.

I paid through PayPal so I can file a claim in two ways if I can't retrieve my file and they refuse to refund my money: 1) through my bank card, and 2) through PayPal.

It will be worth it to me to recover the data in this file as I need it to complete my 2017 Income Tax Returns and the refund I am due is well worth the cost. Plus, I can probably deduct this cost on future returns.

@MysticalRose wrote:

Plus, I can probably deduct this cost on future returns.

Sorry, due to the TCJA (Tax Cuts and Jobs Act) the deduction for tax preparation (and all other miscellaneous deductions) were eliminated for 2018-2025.

Yes, I discovered that but I can recharacterize this as a different kind of expense that is covered.

No there is not another place to deduct the cost ... and even when it was deductible the total expenses for that portion of the Sch A had to be more than 2% of your AGI ... meaning that if your income was 100K then only the expenses more than $2000 would count... so many folks couldn't even use the deduction. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies