Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can't find the return of excess contribution I entered on my tax form

I accidentally contributed too much money into my 403b account for 2019. I fixed it by entering the difference under other - misc. income. However, when I downloaded a copy of my tax return after I electronically filed it, I couldn't find that amount on my tax form. Am I just looking in the wrong place? I really don't want to pay tax on this again next year when I get my 1099 since I already paid for it this year.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DianeC958
Expert Alumni

If you reported this as Other Income that information is on Schedule 1 line 8.  The information then flows from this schedule to the form 1040 line on line 7a.

You will receive a 1099-R for this distribution to report on your 2020 tax return.  There will be tax due on any earnings the excess amount generated and also a 10% penalty on the earnings generated by the excess contribution.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@xiaolwu wrote:

I accidentally contributed too much money into my 403b account for 2019. I fixed it by entering the difference under other - misc. income. However, when I downloaded a copy of my tax return after I electronically filed it, I couldn't find that amount on my tax form. Am I just looking in the wrong place? I really don't want to pay tax on this again next year when I get my 1099 since I already paid for it this year.

Did you enter it this way?

Miscellionious Income ->
Other Income not reported on a W-2 ->
Other wages (yes) ->
House Hold employee (Continue) ->
Sick Pay (Continue) ->
Other earned income (yes) (Includes excess salary deferrals)->
Source of income (other) ->
Any other income - enter the amount of the excess deferral and an explanation.

This will add the returned excess to your 2019 1040  line 1 as wages because it was deducted from you wages on the W-2 so must be returned by adding it to your wages.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Yes, I did enter it the way as you described. I actually saw your post regarding excess contribution on another post, which is why I entered it the way I did. I was just a little confused because I didn't see the reason I listed on the actual tax return. I just want to make sure the IRS knows I'm paying tax on this and not try to charge me again next year when I get my 1099.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies