Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Can't file due to this: K-1 Wks-Partnerships (xxx LLC): Box 16 Description has been entered for foreign tax paid or accrued but no entry has been made for codes D-H or for foreign sourced income at the individual level on the K-1 Additional Information w

NO - I have code A Canada, Code B $815, code I $120.  As mentioned above I solved the problem by deleting the code I and its amount.  It cost me $11 extra in taxes, but that is OK.

bfite

Can't file due to this: K-1 Wks-Partnerships (xxx LLC): Box 16 Description has been entered for foreign tax paid or accrued but no entry has been made for codes D-H or for foreign sourced income at the individual level on the K-1 Additional Information w

Agree with above.  TT Online logic seems to not understand Box 16 of the K-1.  I have had a problem 3 years in a row.  Deleting a line received from a tax form doesn't seem the right option.  I have F income and I expense where F is > than I, but I still get the error about no foreign source income.  Is TT not seeing the F income? 

2tojohny
Returning Member

Hi,

I'm part of a foreign partnership that does not have an employer ID in their K-1 form.  TurboTax flagged this as an error and prevented me from e-filing my return.  Is there a way to get around this so I can e-file my return?

Thanks,

John

That doesn't seem right.  Are you sure there is no entry in Part I A?  If not, call them

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Foreign partnerships do not always file Form 1065 in the US, but when they do, Form 8865 is required for some filers. See: IRS: 2020 Form 8865 Instructions for who must file.

Form 8865 is not supported for e-filing. To check what forms are available, see:

IRS forms availability table for TurboTax individuals

@2tojohny

333mfy
Returning Member

Hello Kathryn, all others,

I'm in a similar situation.  Our S-Corp has a foreign subsidiary.  Sch K1 had box 14, code H populated, but without any category for the income.  I asked the accountant, and it is NOT any of the options provided by TT (lump-sum, 901(j) or re-sourced by treaty) - he said it's just general income.  TT now won't eFile, because I left that blank.

What to do now?

Thanks a lot.

if it's correctly general category income code H should not have been used. it should have been code G

as you found code H requires additional information - the country and 1 of the 3 categories.

the return preparer should prepare an amended return for the entity and for each partner/shareholder.

to indicate on lines 14 or 16 that the income is general category (code G) if that's what it is.

333mfy
Returning Member

Thanks Mike.  Code G is also populated in box 14.  Furthermore, Box 16 has C and D, as well.  This is what the accountant said, verbatim: "The amount in question is simply other income – of portfolio nature, but not portfolio in origin.  Not 901(j) income, resourced, or lump sum distribution."  

I looked at Form 1120-S, and it does not contain the words lump-sum, 901 or treaty.  Is it like this selection does not get reported to IRS, but only determines how this amount will be used for foreign tax credit calculations?  

Thank you.

gf7107

My online turbo tax filing is not asking for information form my K-1 form 1041??  

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

To report your K1 income in Turbo Tax Online.

1. Go to federal>income and expenses
  2. S-corps, Partnerships, and Trusts
  3. Schedule k-1>start
  4. Select Estates or trusts (Form 1041)

@gf7107

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies