turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cdw3
Level 2

Can't File 1040-X Electronically With a Date After 2022

I have completed Form 1040-X for 2021 and everything went smoothly until the very end.  I am being told to correct the signature date to a date before 12/31/2022 and to correct the payment date to a date on or before 4/18/2022.  Since it is now 6/6/2023, how can I get around these two obstacles in order to file electronically?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Amendments for any other tax year than the current 2022 tax year are NOT allowed thru the TT system ... you must print, ink sign and mail it in. 

@cdw3 

How to paper file:

Do not include your old 1040 nor your revised 1040 because the Form 1040-X reflects any changes there and becomes your new tax return.

Include any new/corrected document only if it shows federal tax withheld, and include in order only those Sequence Numbered tax forms and Schedules that changed or were added due to your amendment.
Attachment Sequence Number is on all the forms and Schedules that come after 1040.

If you are using TurboTax you have to do this by visual comparison. The program won't break out those pages for you.

---

If any forms specify an attachment, put all those attachments at the end in the same order as the forms they go with.
----
Mail to the address shown for your location in the most recent Instructions for Form 1040-X.
----

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies