Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can't e-file because of forms that can't be efiled

I'm trying to e-file and getting a message that says I can't efile because the return has forms that cannot be efiled. It's a pretty basic return with the following forms: 1040, Schedule 1, Schedule 2, Schedule C, Schedule SE and form 8995. I've efiled in the past with basically the same forms. Any idea why this won't work? I can't find anything on the IRS website that answers this question. Thanks in advance!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

24 Replies

@ JFenzau wrote:

I'm trying to e-file and getting a message that says I can't efile because the return has forms that cannot be efiled. It's a pretty basic return with the following forms: 1040, Schedule 1, Schedule 2, Schedule C, Schedule SE and form 8995. I've efiled in the past with basically the same forms. Any idea why this won't work? I can't find anything on the IRS website that answers this question. Thanks in advance!

Is it the simplified Form 8995 computation or the long computation Form 8995-A?  When I look at the Forms Availability table it says that the complete Form 8995-A (the long computation) is to be released today 1/24/2024.  So perhaps that is the hangup.  

Use the link that says "this tool" in the FAQ below to get to the tool to follow your forms availability.  When it becomes available, there will be a green checkmark in the table.

FAQ: When will my individual tax forms be available in TurboTax?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/taxation/irs-forms-availability-table-tu...

Forms Availability Table

Thanks for your help. It is the simplified form, which should already be available. I checked all the forms that are included in the return and it looks like all of them are available.

@ JFenzau wrote:

Thanks for your help. It is the simplified form, which should already be available. I checked all the forms that are included in the return and it looks like all of them are available.

Is there also a state return that you're trying to efile?  If so, what state?

What product are you using--Online TurboTax or desktop TurboTax (CD/download)?   If you are using desktop TurboTax, have you gotten the latest program update?    Updates are usually released weekly, normally overnight on early Thursday AM, so an update should come across by sometime tomorrow morning.

Is there anything additional in the error message that might provide a clue?

Go to the REVIEW tab and go through the Review screens and Error Check.  Does it tell you any specific form is the problem?

Less likely, but do you happen to have a zero-income return, or perhaps foreign earned income and jsed the Exclusion to exclude all your income?

Even though you don't need the Form 8895-A, I might wait until it becomes available and try to efile again,   since those 8995 forms might be interrelated.  Just thinking out loud and what I might do.   It's supposed to become available today, but those dates are projections and not locked in stone.   If using desktop software, see if you have any luck efiling tomorrow after tonight's overnight update.   Otherwise, you could talk to Customer Support so they can quiz you more about the circumstances of your return to see if they can think of an issue/solution.

Thanks for all the suggestions! There is no state return, just federal. I'm using the desktop version and got updates both this morning and yesterday and the IRS website does show that the 8995-A form is now available. I went back through the review process and it doesn't give any additional information about which form it's rejecting, just that the return has certain forms that can't be e-filed, usually because of tax regulations. It is not a zero income return and does not have any foreign earned income. Still no luck!

@JFenzau  

Maybe it's something else related to your Schedule C.   Did you take a self-employed health insurance deduction, for instance?   If so, that Form 7206 is not  yet available.

But your issue may be part of a wider problem.  I just found another thread where several people are reporting they are unable to efile with Schedule C:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/business-taxes/discussion/can-t-e-file-schedule-c/00/3134801

If you want to phone TurboTax customer support, here's how:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

Hello - No self employed health insurance, but I read through the other thread and it does seem that this is part of a bigger issue. I'm going to call turbo tax today to ensure that they are aware of the issue. Thanks again for your help, you're very thorough!

Cproffitt3
Returning Member

Please update what you find out. I am having the same issue. 

I got this response from TurboTax this morning:

"This is a known issue and is being addressed.   Don't delete your Schedule C.   

The IRS does not accept returns until next week, so it is too early in the tax season to file most returns.   You can view the forms availability chart to see what forms are not ready.    There are a lot of forms you may not be aware of that get sent with a Schedule C.    For example, Qualified Business Income Deduction (QBI), forms are not all ready yet.   Your return may need that form."

At lease they are working on it. We'll see what the weekend brings. 

Hello everyone.  I have the same issue and have spoken with TurboTax folks Since January 25th 2024.  I am told form 8995 is ready in both TurboTax and the IRS.  I waited till today January 29th 2024 till the IRS "Opened" even thought the Turbo Tax servers will accept eFiles to their servers until the IRS opens and then download what is on their servers once the IRS opens.  I have done a very simple experiment.  If I DO NOT import a previous return (if you had a 8995 perviously, TT will automatically download the form in the forms field assuming you will have a 8995 to fill out.  So I did a fresh return NOT AN IMPORT form a previous years' file.  So when I did this and entered everything as I did when I was getting the CANNOT eFILE Message, it would allow me to eFile.  So then, I added the 1099-NEC that then added the form 8995 along with a schedule C.  Once I did this, it again would not allow me to eFILE!!.  I has been on the phone 5 times and have spent over 8 hours discussing this with various support folks showing them how I believe it is pointing to a return using the form 8995 and possibly the schedule C that goes hand in hand.  I did my Brother's return and he has no income to enter that would create the 8995 or schedule C thus allowing us to eFile with NO problems.  As with some of you other folks, I have been using TT for over 10 years and have always had QBI forms and schedule Cs and NEVER have had this happen.  TT even asked me to download files to them and I got an email stating it has to do with a W2 BOX 12 403B?  In my case there are NO W2s involved.  I am so frustrated with this situation and hope TT resolves this issue soon for all our sake.  BTW, form 8995 was a form that a few weeks back TT message when launched said NOT READY, but a week ago says it is ready and says so when I launch TT now.  In addition the folks at TT have said it is ready in addition to the IRS.  The IRS available form list update says ready 1/29/24 which is today.  I ill continue to update if I hear anything else as I plan to call again tomowworw per the advisor that helped my on 1/25/24.  He said to call in and my case be transferred to him so he can call me back.  Good luck to me to actually get back with him.  Sorry for any typos.

PS:  It also is stating i need to mail in my State taxes.  When we checked, Arizona is open for eFile so there is definitely a BUG in TT or the IRS form 8995 not ready??  I am using Home and Business Desktop on  Macbook Pro

nymews
Returning Member

as of Jan 30 2024. I am still having the same problem.  Get the SAME error:  RETURNS WITH A FEDERAL RETURN WHICH IS INELIGIBLE FOR ELECTRONIC FILING.  I verified that all my forms were on the accepted and ready list.  I have no overrides.  I updated the software (last update 1/26/2024) I have even started another return, added ONLY our W2 info. Ran a check.  It would allow efile., so NOT the W2s.  The issue happens when I add the Schedule C.  No assets were added.  Said Yes to QBI, added some expenses, added income to show a profit.  Would no longer efile.  Changed QBI to No.  Still a no-go. So, I concluded not the Depreciation or QBI.  I have both Fed and State, so unless you do both, you can't efile apparently.  The actual 'error' message states that I can't efile the NYS because one of the Fed forms isn't eligible for efiling due to tax regulations.  Way too vague!!  Been working on this for a week, then waited again until After IRS was accepting.  We filed for 2 friends who had simple W2 and nothing more.  Theirs went just fine.

Same issue here.  Please update it solution is found.  Thanks!

@wstcoaster07 wrote:

Same issue here.  Please update it solution is found.  Thanks!

See this TurboTax support FAQ for this problem and to sign up to be notified when corrected - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/electronic-filing/getting-return-contain...

doric59

I am having the same issue. TT states that my return has certain forms that can't be e-filed because of tax regulations, and that I will also have to file my state (CA) return by mail.  I have a very simple return, I've reviewed it all and have nothing new from last year.  I checked what forms the IRS is requiring to be filed by mail, and I have none of those either.  Hoping you are able to provide some updates/answers.

Thank you !

Your analysis is correct and exactly the same as I did and wrote about yesterday.  If there is no income to report, it allows your to eFile.  TT is aware of the problem and has been letting folks know they are working on it, but no ETA.  Looks like we all have to sit it out and wait.  My big concern is that a piece of SW such as TT should always be tested and re-tested before it is ready for prime time.  Of course if there i s an issue related to the IRS, then they must work out those bugs together.  We all hope this gets solved soon.  Hang in there.  I have read some folks have gone to other SW outside of TT without any issues, so leads one to believe this is not and IRS issue??  But not being part of the TT IT team one would never know.  There may be a lot of folks asking for refunds for the faulty SW if they go elsewhere to file.  I still have faith that this issue will be fixed............

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies