turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can one efile returns using Turbo tax desktop as a guest, without setting up an Intuit account? Please see specific question below.

Need help understanding the efile process with Turbotax Desktop (2021 filing)!  😫😟

In the efile sequence of screens, at one point where i needed to make a payment I went forward using the guest option, I didn't create / login to an Intuit account for it. I was able to make a payment using credit card and move forward with the efile screens. But I wanted to find out if  the efile done by going down this path was ok? Would IRS and state have received my returns? I did get emails that they were accepted, but when I went into the Efile status history in my desktop software for my return after it was efiled, I saw following messages in the history, so not sure now if 'my' return was sent and acknowledged or something incorrect. None of the messages below or emails received have any confirmation number nor even last four of SSN nor a timestamp to indicate when it was logged, to indicate a specific return was sent. Any clarification on the process or suggestions on where to look to get confirmation that my return (either SSN or AGI amount or something)  was sent ? 

Other similar threads on efile confirmation for Turbotax desktop users seem to indicate other than emails there is no confirmation number nor anything to indicate a specific return was sent and acknowledged as received by IRS or state DOR. Can a Turbotax expert please confirm for Desktop users specifically as this doesn't seem to have been clarified anywhere?

Below are messages in Efile status history after the initial 3 or 4 indicating the return has been received for state (no mention of federal):

The Intuit Electronic Filing Center did not find any record with this Social Security Number or Employee Identification number.

filing changed state to SUCCEEDED_AGENCY

<State name > Individual

Filing changed state to IN_AGENCY

<State name> Individual

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Can one efile returns using Turbo tax desktop as a guest, without setting up an Intuit account? Please see specific question below.

A related question to the one above.. Is there a way to print / view a return after filing in the Turbotax desktop product that shows the efiled postmark timestamp? Other threads mention about efile postmark but it seems to be only for Turbotax online product users. Is there a similar feature for Turbotax Desktop users that will at least give the taxpayer some confirmation?

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

This Turbo Tax FAQ will show you how to check your e-file status, as this is something we will not know. You will also receive an email advising you of the return being accepted or rejected. If you opted in for text messages, you will receive that also. 

How do I check my e-file status?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/return-status/help/how-do-i-check-my-e-file-status/00/25538

@Spi36

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you. Unfortunately the option mentioned at the link, for Turbotax Desktop users is not very helpful , as mentioned in my initial post (efile history, etc. mentioned above).

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

The E-file history has the most information - it tells when the return was sent, received, and accepted (succeeded agency).   Your state return has to be e-filed with your federal return or after your federal return has already been accepted.   You can verify that both returns were accepted by checking the IRS's and your state's Where's My Refund sites.   They will only show you information if your returns have been accepted.    Checking your e-file status in TurboTax desktop will tell you if the returns were accepted or rejected.  

In your list of Forms, you can view the Filing Instructions and/or Return Summary to find more e-filing details.   Your federal return and each state return will have their own Filing Instructions and Return Summary when you click on Forms in the upper right corner (Desktop version only).   The IRS is the tax agency for the federal return and your state's Department of Revenue is the agency for the state returns.  

Thank you DawnC. I already did what you mentioned to check EFile status history as mentioned in my original post. When I checked for history I saw the messages below. The highlighted message confused me as to whether Intuit  efiled my return or not. That was the reason I was trying to find some kind of confirmation in the messages to indicate Intuit did in fact efile my return and IRS or state accepted it. A confirmation number, or a transmission id or some kind of indication pertaining to my return (last 4 of SSN or AGI or something) would help confirm that my return was indeed efiled timely , if I need it as proof for future reference.  Unfortunately these messages below can be confusing. If one doesn't have a refund coming, then they can't use the check my refund options to confirm if IRS or state got the returns. 

The Intuit Electronic Filing Center did not find any record with this Social Security Number or Employee Identification number.

<State name > Individual

<State name> Individual

Thanks

powell2

I have this same question. What do those other messages mean? Did you ever figure out? Been waiting more than 48 hours for my return to be accepted by the state.

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

You can check to see if your return was e-filed using this tool.

If you received an email, or text message (if signed up for it) stating your return was accepted, you will then begin to track your refund with the IRS, as Turbo Tax will not have the status.

You can visit the IRS website to track your refund. 

This Turbo Tax FAQ will provide information as to why your state e-file is still pending.
Why is my state e-file still pending?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies