turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

Can international students use turbotax to file tax returns?

If you have been in the US for less than five years, you must file Form 1040-NR.

TurboTax does not support 1040-NR. You will have to use Sprintax to complete the form. 

Sprintax

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JN45

Thank you for your answer! Can you share the link containing that information about the 5-year rule? I've heard about it a lot but couldn't find it on IRS website.

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

This link on the IRS website has some helpful examples.

Alien Residency Examples

long811

Thank you for sharing,

Though, If I fir the criteria since I have been here more than 5 years on student visa. Can I then file using turboTax?

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

If you have been in the US for more than 5 years or part years, you can start counting your US days of presence after December 31st of the 5th year.

If you are considered a resident alien using the Substantial  Presence Test you can file your return with TurboTax.

Your days on your F1 or J1 visa during the 5 years do not count as days of presence

You will be considered a United States resident for tax purposes if you meet the substantial presence test for the calendar year. To meet this test, you must be physically present in the United States (U.S.) on at least: 

1. 31 days during the current year, and 

2. 183 days during the 3-year period that includes the current year and the 2 years immediately before that, counting:  

• All the days you were present in the current year, and 

• 1/3 of the days you were present in the first year before the current year, and 

• 1/6 of the days you were present in the second year before the current year. 

@VictoriaD75 @KarenJ2  I already used Turbo tax to file my taxes while on my F1 visa for 2019 and I have received the tax return from IRS. Now I understand that it was a mistake as I am considered a Non Resident Alien . Is there anything I can do to correct this? What problems would I face ? Thank you for your time.

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

You just need to amend your return(s) and return your refund to the IRS.  If you amend and return(s) the refund, you should be fine. 

You can use the steps here below to amend from 1040 resident return and file a correct 1040NR,  TurboTax does support nonresident returns however  we partner with Sprintax and they can help you with a 1040NR.    You will need to go to the state website and locate their amended return form and print it and complete it.  You can attach your correct to the state amendment.

After your 1040NR is complete, print your 1040NR with Sprintax; do not e-file it..  You must mail the 1040NR along with the amended return Form 1040X  

Per IRS Form 1040X instructions,  page 8:  

To amend and file the correct return, do the following:     

• Enter your name, current address, and social security number (SSN) or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) on the front of Form 1040X.   

• Don’t enter any other information on page 1. Also, don’t complete Parts I or II on page 2 of Form 1040X.   

• Enter in Part III the reason why you are filing Form 1040X.    

• Complete a new or corrected return, Form 1040NR,   

• Across the top of the new or corrected return, write “Amended.”    

• Attach the new or corrected return to the back of Form 1040X.   

**Make sure you check the box to show the tax year that you are amending on Form 1040X.   Make sure you sign your 1040X and 1040NR. 

Sprintax   Form 1040X       1040X Instructions  

To return your refund please see the attached link from the IRS:  Returning an Erroneous Refund - Paper Check or Direct Deposit

nodice
Returning Member

What to do regarding the state tax.. specifically Pennsylvania

sanz
Level 2

If sprintax was free no one would have been asking this question.
No, no and no you can't technically use TurboTax if you are an international studying on visa. No matter how tempting it is to use TurboTax , since it's free. Use sprtintax!!
You might not get into any problem by filling it in the wrong but read this
My friends applied through TurboTax it has efile so they got tax returns back in like 2 weeks. Bang then corona happened and came along with it the CARES package, they all wrongfully received 1200$, they were happy only till we received a mail from university explaining how that money doesn't belong to us and how they should file tax amendment and get it corrected. Now they have to do it.
i paid 60$ to sprintax to file taxes.
they paid 0 to turbotax then received 1200$, now would have to pay 100$ for amendment.

So don't just file via TurboTax bcoz its free, do it the right way helps in long run. Don't mess with IRS on chances that nothing's gonna go wrong or over few bucks. It will suck to know, you got into trouble just to save couple of bucks. Use Sprintax if you are eligible to file as resident alien it will tell you so. chat with their agents. Don't use friends or seniors advice.  

I don't think i could be clearer than this.

Vngo

@sanz Thank you for the advice, I'm currently in the process of filing my taxes. I'm a university student and have an on-campus job (so I have a W-2 form). I also have been in the U.S for more than 5 years. When I used Sprintax it says that my profile won't be support by Sprintax and need to use other services. I was wondering what should I do in this case?

Vngo

@KarenJ2 Thank you so much for so much helpful advice. I'm an international university student who had an on-campus job (I have W-2 form). It was also my only source of income. I also have lived in the U.S for more than 5 years. I stop filling out my TurboTax profile when I saw your advice and want to avoid having to amend when I file my taxes. Sprintax however, does not process my profile since it is over 5 years. I was wondering what should I do in this case?  

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

If as an international student, you must file Form 1040-NR, U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return.

TurboTax does not support that form. You can prepare it with sprintax.com.

The direct link for IRS information about Foreign Students, Scholars, Teachers, Researchers and Exchange Visitors will provide information for your specific situation.

Respected Sir/Madam,

I have filed my taxes in Feb Mid and I got my refund too. I am an International Student on F1 visa so Just now I came to know that we shouldn't use Turbo tax. So, Now what to do. Do I have file it again in Sprint tax ? .Kindly let me know.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes, if you are in your five-year exempt period as a F-1 scholar, you should have filed a 1040 NR return. To best answer your question about refiling, please contact  sprintax.com to see what action you need to take.

@ajithkrishna1997

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies