Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I still file or do I wait until its ready when your State forms are not ready. I don't understand what this means

Your California return is currently unavailable to print or download because some of the tax forms aren't ready for processing. You can preview the returns and sign up to get notified as soon as the tax forms are ready.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Can I still file or do I wait until its ready when your State forms are not ready. I don't understand what this means

No - TurboTax won't let you file your state return before the forms are ready.  It will prevent e-filing, and if you try to file a paper return, it will  print the forms with a DO NOT FILE watermark on the pages.

When the forms are finalized, you will have to open up your return in TurboTax and file the return then.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Certain Federal and State forms have not yet been finalized.  If your return contains one of these forms you will not be able to file your return until the form is finalized.  This pertains to both e-filed and paper returns.

For current information on forms availability please click on the applicable link below:

TurboTax Online (TTO)

TTO automatically updates the website when the forms become available.

TurboTax CD/Download
You will be prompted to download updates when you open the program.  You can also update the program while you have it open by following these steps:

1. Click on the Online link in the black bar at the top of the page.  
  2. Click on Check for Updates.
  3. TurboTax will download and install any updates available.  If there aren't any updates, you will receive the message "Your software is up to date."

Thank you!

I do have one more question?  If I go ahead and file, dose Turbo tax send in the file when available?  Sorry for the follow up question

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

No - TurboTax won't let you file your state return before the forms are ready.  It will prevent e-filing, and if you try to file a paper return, it will  print the forms with a DO NOT FILE watermark on the pages.

When the forms are finalized, you will have to open up your return in TurboTax and file the return then.

I have a form that I have filled out, but its states the form is not ready. Do I need to wait for my form to get verified or is there something wrong with my form?

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Yes. Wait for TurboTax to get the forms approved by either the IRS or your state. There should be nothing wrong with how you completed the form. However, if the form is not ready, TurboTax won’t do a full error check on that form.

It’s possible, you may have to check a box or do something when the form is ready to file.

Forms usually don’t change much from year to year — and TurboTax works off advance copies provided by the IRS and states so the “back office” stuff is usually working correctly in the background.

@chrsmh 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies