turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I import taxes to merge for filing jointly.

I filled the taxes for me and my wife separately and saved these for now (haven't filed yet), now I wanted to check how much will I have to pay or how much will I get I file it jointly. Is there a way in turbo tax where I can just import these already filled taxes and file them jointly to know the final amount?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

There is no way to combine two separate tax returns. You have to pick one of them, change the filing status to married filing jointly, then add all of the other person's information. Or, if you want to keep the two separate returns for reference, start a new joint return from scratch.

If you are using the CD/Download TurboTax software you can save a copy of one of the separate returns with a different file name, then use that as the starting point for creating a joint return.

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

No, there is no way to do that.

@amolpujari - do you have am economic reason to file separately?  96% of married couples file joint because the tax laws motivate that behavior.  Except for the unemployment rules ($10,200) this year which MIGHT drive separate filing, it is quite extraordinary to find an economic reason to file separate. 

In fact, the farther apart your incomes are the more the incentive to file joint.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies