turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Imran

Can i file my tax returns from outside united states

Hello team,

I am planning to travel outside united states. Can i file my US tax returns from outside united states. Further, i am expecting refund from IRS, can i give bank account which is outside united states. Will there be any issues on my refund amount, due to filing outside united states. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Assuming you are a U.S. Citizen or legal immigrant authorized to work in the US and you have a valid SSN or ITIN, then you can use TurboTax from anywhere on the planet to file your US tax return. Be aware of the following:

- The IRS will not do a direct deposit of a refund to a foreign bank account. Period.

- The IRS will not mail a paper check to "some" countries.

- To pay any turbotax charges online, your credit/debit card must be in US funds, have a valid US billing address and a valid US phone number tied to it. If all those conditions are not met, your credit/debit card will be declined. If this is/will be your situation then let me know. There is a workaround.

Carl - please do share the workaround. I am a US citizen working abroad for nearly a decade, and now do not have a valid US billing address, or a valid US phone number, or a US credit card. For that reason, I have been unable to create an IRS account as well. Thanks in advance for your help.

Carl
Level 15

Basically, you need to visit the US Embassy or the nearest consulate office. All US Embassy's will have a US banking facility in them. Most, but not all satellite offices will to. So if a satellite office is closer, call them first to confirm they have a US banking facility available for you to use. There you can purchase a pre-paid VISA for the amount needed. Then you register that VISA online with any valid US address and phone number. After registering it, give things about 4 hours to propagate across the Internet for where ever it needs to propagate to. Then you can use the prepaid card to pay your turbotax fees with.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies