Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim my mother as a dependent again, even if she received unemployment last year?

I claimed my mother as my dependent last time, but last year she received unemployment for a short time and had taxes taken out from it. Can I still claim her, or does she have to file separately?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I claim my mother as a dependent again, even if she received unemployment last year?

If she had over $4300 of any other income besides Social Security she cannot be claimed as a dependent on anyone else's tax return.    So better take a look at her 1099G and see how much unemployment she received.   

Whether you can claim her or not, if she had tax withheld from her unemployment she can file her own tax return to seek a refund.   Although unemployment is fully taxable for 2021 she might have made too little overall and could get a refund.   If it turns out she made under $4300 and you can claim her, then she must say on her return that she can be claimed as someone else's dependent.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

2 Replies

If she had over $4300 of any other income besides Social Security she cannot be claimed as a dependent on anyone else's tax return.    So better take a look at her 1099G and see how much unemployment she received.   

Whether you can claim her or not, if she had tax withheld from her unemployment she can file her own tax return to seek a refund.   Although unemployment is fully taxable for 2021 she might have made too little overall and could get a refund.   If it turns out she made under $4300 and you can claim her, then she must say on her return that she can be claimed as someone else's dependent.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

That helps a lot! Thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies