Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

E2 visa dependents & their SSN

Hi, 

I already submitted this question regarding E2 visa dependents & their SSN. Unfortunately, the question (https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3716413) have been already "archived or deleted”, so I couldn't continue the thread.

In a nutshell… I would like to submit my tax returns. I’m not a US Citizen, but I’m a tax-Resident Alien, working on E2 visa. My dependents can’t get their SSNs, so i was advised to apply for ITIN.

So my wife went there to the office and they schedule a meeting with all 4 of us. We’re supposed to bring the W-7 form + completed tax return with us. Now, I can’t complete my returns if I don’t have my dependents' ITINs.

Is that correct? What should I do? Is there a deadline for my 2016 returns?

Thank you for your help! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If you complete the tax return and print it out, you can take it with you to the appointment and the IRS staff will verify the children for the ITIN and send them together to get processed.  You are supposed to send you tax return with the W7 ITIN application but you are saving time by going to an IRS office.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

But how can I complete my tax return in turbotax if I don't have my dependents' ITIN?
declansc

I am interested in this question, since my understanding is that the dependents of an E2 visa holder have no standing in the USA in regard to federal taxes, and thus cannot be listed as a dependent. Thus, I am not sure if an ITIN is required only if the children had income.

Do you mind commenting whether the children qualify as dependents if they have an ITIN number?

Thanks,

Declan

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies