Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Geneman

BUG: TTax 2022 not letting me select HOH even though I meet the criteria

I entered how I supported my child for 10 months last year and TTAX is not allowing me to claim HOH.  Situation A pasted below applies to me yet TTAX states "the person you already entered will not quailfy you for the head of household status" this looks like a bug.,

REQUIREMENTS FOR FILING AS HEAD OF HOUSEHOLD

You can file as Head of Household if either SITUATION A or SITUATION B described below applies to you.

SITUATION A:

You provide a home for certain other persons, you were unmarried or legally separated as of December 31, 2022, and ONE of the following was true:

1. You paid over half the cost of keeping up a home that was the main home (not necessarily your home) for all of 2022 of a parent you can claim as a dependent for all of 2022

2. You paid over half the cost of keeping up a home in which you lived and in which one of the following also lived for more than half of the year:

(a) Your UNMARRIED child, adopted child, grandchild, great-grandchild, or stepchild. This child does not have to be your dependent.

(b) Your MARRIED child, adopted child, grandchild, great-grandchild, or stepchild. This child must be your dependent UNLESS your married child's other parent can claim him or her as a dependent.

(c) Your foster child, who must be your dependent.

(d) Any other relative, as defined by the IRS, you can claim as a dependent.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Geneman

BUG: TTax 2022 not letting me select HOH even though I meet the criteria

I found out the issue was due to not entering DOB for my child. This was not imported from last years return automatically so really a different bug.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies