Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Box 10a and 10b on my 1099-G are there, but they are both empty. What do I enter in for Box 10b since I don't know my state identification number?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Box 10a and 10b on my 1099-G are there, but they are both empty. What do I enter in for Box 10b since I don't know my state identification number?

Is there any amount in box 11?   If there is then contact the insurer  for a corrected 1099-G.   Of not then leave all boxes 10a/b-11 blank.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
BillM223
Expert Alumni

This year we have seen a number of states issue 1099-G forms that have tax withheld in box 11, but boxes 10a and/or 10b are empty. TurboTax requires that if box 11 has a value, then boxes 10a and 10b must also have entries.

Box 10a is probably the two-letter state code for your state (example: "MI" for Michigan). The filer identification number for box 10b is likely to be the same to the Payer’s TIN on the left side of the form.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have the same question.   The reply above said it is probably the same as the federal identifier.   There is a separate number for the substitute 1099 G listed online.  So now I am not sure which one to use.   Can someone please respond.

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

If your paper document field for the federal ID # is blank, but there is one in that box when you view the same tax reporting document online, then use it.

An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is also known as a Federal Tax Identification Number, and is used to identify a business entity. Generally, businesses need an EIN. 

For additional information, please refer to the following link:

Employer ID Numbers

Thank you. This tip was perfect and I was able to complete my return 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies