Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Are ESPP stock purchases considered ISOs for AMT consideration?

In TurboTax Deluxe, Federal Taxes - Other Tax Situations - Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT) :
The first question is "Do you have any of these uncommon situations? Select all that apply to your 2019 taxes"
The first item under the question is
- I exercised ISOs in 2019, but didn't sell the stock in 2019. Or I sold ISOs in 2019 that I purchased in a previous year.

*I would like to know if this item applies to my situation or not.*

In 2019, I purchased stock at a discount on the Fair Market Value under my company's Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP). The shares were transferred to me on March 14th, 2019 and Sept 13th 2019. There is a 6 month holding period on ESPP stock and I did not sell any of it in 2019.

I received a 2019 Form 3922. On the Form 3922 Box 1 "Date option granted" is listed as Sept 19, 2018 and March 15 2019. Box 2 "Date option exercised" is listed as March 14th, 2019 and Sept 13th, 2019 respectively - the dates the stock was transferred to me.

I also sold ESPP stock in 2019 that I had acquired in 2017.

Are either of these ESPP stock purchases or sales considered an ISO excersized or sold and must be figured in ATM computation per the first item above?

Thank you!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

"Are either of these ESPP stock purchases or sales considered an ISO excersized or sold and must be figured in ATM computation per the first item above?"

No.  ISOs and ESPPs are both considered "Statutory Stock Options" but operate under different rules.  For ESPPs there's no similar rule to ISOs where stock not sold by the year end in which the option was exercised are an AMT adjustment item. 

For stock acquired via ESPPs there Qualified and NonQualified dispositions and the grant dates and how long you owned the stock determines that.  If you use the ESPP step by step interview and enter the Form 3922 information, TurboTax will handle this correctly.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

"Are either of these ESPP stock purchases or sales considered an ISO excersized or sold and must be figured in ATM computation per the first item above?"

No.  ISOs and ESPPs are both considered "Statutory Stock Options" but operate under different rules.  For ESPPs there's no similar rule to ISOs where stock not sold by the year end in which the option was exercised are an AMT adjustment item. 

For stock acquired via ESPPs there Qualified and NonQualified dispositions and the grant dates and how long you owned the stock determines that.  If you use the ESPP step by step interview and enter the Form 3922 information, TurboTax will handle this correctly.

Thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies