Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Any advantage to start LLC this tax year vs waiting until the start of next

Hello. I have been contemplating starting an LLC for my freelance business. If I start it now, does it offer me any benefits for this tax year, or might it be best to wait until next year to start it? Any pros & cons of starting it now or later would be appreciated, thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RyanH5
Employee Tax Expert

Hi Chris,
Generally speaking, there is no tax advantage to establishing an LLC since they are considered a disregarded entity. What this means is that unless an S-Corp election is also made, a Single Member LLC is taxed as a sole proprietorship just as if the LLC was not established. This is done by filing a Schedule C to claim the business income and expenses. 

Multi-member LLC's are taxed as a partnership unless a S-Corp election is made. Partnerships must file a form 1065 to claim the business income and expenses, but do not pay taxes. Instead, K-1 is then issued to all partners that states their portion of income and expenses, and that flows through to their personal tax returns (generally as self employment income).
As I mentioned above, either can make an S-Corp election. S-Corps, like partnerships, do not pay taxes, but must file an 1120-S and issue a K-1 to all owners. In addition, S-Corps must pay their owners W-2 wages. These W-2 wages and K-1 earnings are reported on the individual tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
RyanH5
Employee Tax Expert

Hi Chris,
Generally speaking, there is no tax advantage to establishing an LLC since they are considered a disregarded entity. What this means is that unless an S-Corp election is also made, a Single Member LLC is taxed as a sole proprietorship just as if the LLC was not established. This is done by filing a Schedule C to claim the business income and expenses. 

Multi-member LLC's are taxed as a partnership unless a S-Corp election is made. Partnerships must file a form 1065 to claim the business income and expenses, but do not pay taxes. Instead, K-1 is then issued to all partners that states their portion of income and expenses, and that flows through to their personal tax returns (generally as self employment income).
As I mentioned above, either can make an S-Corp election. S-Corps, like partnerships, do not pay taxes, but must file an 1120-S and issue a K-1 to all owners. In addition, S-Corps must pay their owners W-2 wages. These W-2 wages and K-1 earnings are reported on the individual tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies