Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

An XML document that represents a binary attachment must have a valid reference to an attached file. ts a binary attachment must have a valid reference to an attached file.

IRS rejected the return and TurboTax's reason  

An XML document that represents a binary attachment must have a valid reference to an attached file.    and indicates that i have to paper file.

No indication of what file was wrong to attempt to correct.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

An XML document that represents a binary attachment must have a valid reference to an attached file. ts a binary attachment must have a valid reference to an attached file.

The development team has given us an update concerning customers who are receiving the Reject Code R0000-058-01 when trying to electronically file your return. The resolution to this situation is taking longer than expected and it may not be resolved before the tax filing deadline.

For reference, this information is from the IRS Instructions for Form 7206:Generally, you can use the worksheet in the Form 1040 instructions to figure your deduction. However, if any of the following apply, you must use Form 7206.

• You had more than one source of income subject to self-employment tax.
  • You file Form 2555.
  • You are using amounts paid for qualified long-term care insurance to figure the deduction.

To proceed and get your return filed in a timely manner, please follow this advice:

1 - If you are required to include Form 7206 as a part of your tax return based on the information above, then you need to print and mail your return. Electronic filing will not be an option if the reject code persists.

2 - If you are not required to include Form 7206 as part of your tax return, then you can attempt to delete the Form 7206 and try electronically filing your return once again. If the form cannot be deleted or you still get the reject code, then you need to print and mail your return.

Use the steps in the following TurboTax help articles to delete Form 7206:

How do I view and delete forms in TurboTax Online?

How do I delete a tax form in TurboTax Desktop (Windows or Mac)? 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for the explanation.  I cannot delete form 7206.

Frustrating that there is an issue with a random form that is causing me to print/file.

Follow up question - I assume since I cannot efile, then TT will not process my payment for taxes due and that I will need to send that in separate?

SLG3
Level 1

SO FRUSTRATING!  If I could figure out how to find the binary attachment and/or the XML doc I'd try to make their references match.  TTax doesn't unmask the file names as far as I can see.

This appears to be a software coding issue, and should have been fixed prior to release!

@tamc93 wrote:

Thank you for the explanation.  I cannot delete form 7206.

Frustrating that there is an issue with a random form that is causing me to print/file.

Follow up question - I assume since I cannot efile, then TT will not process my payment for taxes due and that I will need to send that in separate?

That depends on what specific payment method you selected.

If you select "direct debit" (pay taxes from a checking or savings account" then the bank account information should be printed on the paper tax return and the IRS will get the information that way, and use that information to take the payment.

If you selected "pay by credit card" then I am not actually sure if the credit card information was already transmitted to the credit card processor when you transmitted your return (that was later rejected). Check with your card company, or contact customer support.  If it was not already transmitted, then you can make your own payment arrangement on the IRS web site (credit card or bank account) at www.irs.gov/payments.

Ditto!  Exact same error when trying to e-file.  My form 7206 has lots of data entered, so I guess I can't just delete it.  I paid for e-file, and now I get to spend at least $15 mailing 76 pages by certified mail.  TurboTax should be refunding money to everyone who is affected by this coding mistake.

And where is this mystery reject code?  The status page for my rejection only lists the exact message entered above.

Margot F

I got the same rejection today.  it has something to do with your 1095 A.   Mine wasn't completely filled in (I filled in the step by step but the form had more fields identifying name, SSN, etc.   I fixed that but my return still rejects.  Not sure if Turbotax forgot to fill in some other fields on forms.  The useless help desk asked if I had a form 7206 - so maybe something is wrong there

Same problem (XML document that represents a binary attachment must have a valid reference to an attache...). Is this something that will be fixed? Is it better to file for an automatic extension and pay what is owed and wait for the program to work, or are there no updates coming to rectify this problem? Mailing seems like the worst of all options. 

Zuza
Level 2

The code is in the e-mail you've received from TT - R0000-058-01

jlvt
Level 1

Found my way here via googling the message I get after fed & state were rejected. Some are saying this is from 7206 and others that its 1095-A. I have both. Any confirmation on which one it is?

Tried to refile today hoping it would be different.

Fairly disappointed that TT cannot resolve this issue and is forcing me to file paper.   Part of the value of the service is the free filing.

Update on the payment - since TT cannot respond officially, it does not appear it was charged and will pay the amount with my quarterly tax payment.

FJB

SLG3
Level 1

Not mentioned earlier (or I missed it) is the option to pay the taxes due prior to deadline, and file for an extension.  If the issue gets fixed, then we can email the return.  But if not, mail is still an option.  TurboTax help desk was helpful in trying, but the work arounds on this issue are not one size fits all.  

That's the approach I'm taking for now.  I paid my taxes and filed for an extension.  I don't really want to try the work arounds.  I'd rather have TurboTax fix their own mistakes.

Having said that, I'm actually very skeptical that TurboTax will actually continue to pursue this coding issue after the filing deadline has passed.  Apparently this issue has already been known for a long time, and I'm not seeing anymore program updates when I launch the software.  ☹️

I had this same problem and found a fix after multiple submissions to the IRS. I had two 7206 forms -- one under a Schedule C and another under K-1. I went to the forms view and tried to delete both of them because they were not needed. It let me delete the 7206 form for the Schedule C. When I tried to delete the 7206 form for the K-1, it never went away. I then went into the 7206 form under the K-1 and manually entered zeroes for the fields that were blank. I filed my return again and just received confirmation that it was accepted. Unfortunately, it is April 16th, so I need to explain to the IRS that it wasn't my fault that it was submitted a day late.

I wish you had figured out a possible solution sooner!   I ended up sending mine in since TT never solved anything.   

I will also assume that TT will never reimburse me for their errors, my lost fed-ex cost, and time wasted.

The interns who change the program with errors should be fired.

FJB

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies