Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

After latest update, Turbotax filled in "other country" into my US address - unable to change

I was about to file my taxes and performed an update on 2/26/2022.

After the update, I got a host of new errors on forms saying "Foreign Country Name: Other Country"

I live in the US and never touched my address.  I've been using Turbotax for over a decade.

But, something in the latest update seemed to corrupt my home address.

Looking at my Federal Information Worksheet, after the update, it now says "Foreign Country...Other Country" which is completely false.  When I look at my address in Easy Step, it has my street, city, and "Other Country" instead of my state being listed.  I've tried to delete "other country" but it's a locked field.

I looked at the Foreign Address to see if anything was there.  Any my phone number appeared.  I deleted it, and it deleted it from the US address too.  BUT it didn't change anything.  It still declares "other country" with my US address.

I was really hoping to file my taxes today and not get stuck by a software defect.  HELP.  

Does anyone know a workaround?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

33 Replies
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

After latest update, Turbotax filled in "other country" into my US address - unable to change

To change your address in TurboTax Desktop, please follow the steps below:

1. Open your return.
  2. Click on Personal Info tab at the top.
  3. Scroll down to Mailing Address & Phone number field and click Edit.
  4. Use the drop-down box to choose U.S. Address.
  5. Enter your address.
  6. Click Continue.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I'm having the same issue. On the "Where Do You Receive Your Mail?" screen, the dropdown says "U.S. Address" and everything looks correct. But when I click Continue and return to the "Your Personal Info Summary" screen, my address is listed with "Other Country" instead of my state. And there's an extraneous space after my city before the comma.

Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 8.24.49 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2022-03-18 at 8.27.02 PM.jpg

I fixed this issue by closing my return, quitting Turbotax, restarted Turbotax, then reloading my return.

I tried that, didn't fix it!!

THAT DOESN'T WORK; if it did, no one would be asking this question (how stupid do you think we are?). Neither did quitting, restarting the computer, and restarting/ opening turbotax!! I've been on hold on the phone for 30 min and this service is HORRIBLE.

I'm sorry that it didn't work for you.

I can appreciate your frustration with the program, but am not sure why you are upset with me for posting something that worked on my return -- which I shared hoping that it would help other users.

You might try contacting TurboTax support by Messaging them through Twitter. If you have a Twitter account, go to https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax and click on the envelope icon. It might take awhile via back-and-forth messages, but at least you're not stuck on the phone.

Really sorry it put it in the wrong order; the 'angry' reply was to the first entry from the TT staff, not yours. When it posted, it posted serially, not attached to the correct post. I assure you, I was nothing but grateful for your post.

thank you; even though address now looks right, I can't e-file because it keeps insisting I fill in a foreign country code. 

OK. Thanks for letting me know who you were 'talking' to.

(I assume that you tried shutting down and restarting TT?)

Please try contacting TT Support through Twitter. They were responsive to me, even though they didn't come up with a solution before I 'fixed' it myself. But the more people who contact them to let them know of the bug, the more likely this is to get escalated to the developers to get it fixed.

(It's frustrating that there is no 'down' vote option on a reply. I would've downvoted Leah's response. In her defense, I suspect that she is more of a tax guru than a software expert.  Note that she's listed as a CPA.)

>>I can't e-file because it keeps insisting I fill in a foreign country code. 

Uh oh.  I haven't gotten to that point yet, so it's possible that my 'fix' isn't sufficient. 😟

Did you get past all of the Error checks?

So may I ask, were you able to file electronically?

It keeps telling me I need to enter a 'foreign country code' for forms 5329 and 8606, and I can't bypass them.

Yes, I  was able to file my returns -- just did it.

As for forms 5329 and 8606, perhaps you could try deleting those forms and re-entering the information? Just a thought.  Good luck.

If this same thing happens to you, go to 'forms', go to 'errors', then, in each form (if in fact they don't apply to you, as was the case in my case), go to the menu, choose 'form', and delete the form. THAT FIXED IT. OMG after almost 4 hours on the phone, and a near apoplectic fit. I am not sure I'll do TT again next year; what a nightmare.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies