Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jnodf
Returning Member

adding scanned 1099-B to Form 1041

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You cannot add a scanned attachment in TurboTax Business with the exception of your 8453-FE.

However, if you have PDF software that is capable of combining documents, you can combine your 1099-B with your 8453-FE (although there is no guarantee that the IRS will process both documents).

View solution in original post

7 Replies

You cannot add a scanned attachment in TurboTax Business with the exception of your 8453-FE.

However, if you have PDF software that is capable of combining documents, you can combine your 1099-B with your 8453-FE (although there is no guarantee that the IRS will process both documents).

2020 Form 1041

I have been able to attach form 1099-B to my e-filed 1041 returns in the past. I can't find any explanation for the change or even any notification that here has been a change.  Has this change been highlighted anywhere?

Adding a scanned 1099-B has never been a known function of the TurboTax Business software.  If that was working in the past, it was not a known feature.  You can import 1099-B information into the TurboTax software, but not attach it as a scanned document.  If you do need to file a scanned copy of 1099-B with a return, you would print and mail it as the efile software would not support an attached 1099-B.

Paul714

Kind of odd that it has never been a feature.  The software for 2020 clearly offers it as an option - if you have a lot of transactions, you can enter a summary, attach your 1099, you will be prompted when e-filing.  But the prompt never shows up.

@MaryM428 wrote:

Adding a scanned 1099-B has never been a known function of the TurboTax Business software.  If that was working in the past, it was not a known feature.  You can import 1099-B information into the TurboTax software, but not attach it as a scanned document.  

I have a copy of both the 2019 and 2020 versions of TurboTax Business and neither allows more than one attachment and the attachment it does allow is intended for a Form 8453 variant.

Further, TurboTax Business does not support importing 1099-B information (or any information other than QuickBooks) and, to my knowledge, never has had that functionality.

Old Dutchie
Returning Member

I am finding TurboTax more and more frustrating.

First the program would not allow me to import the 1099-B data from my broker into the program (help says it is not supported). Instructions say to enter summary data and attach .pdf of brokerage statement. 

The 2020 TurboTax for Business step by step clearly states that you can enter the summary totals for the 1099-B data and that TurboTax will prompt you on attaching a .pdf of  the 1099-B when you are ready to e-file. It never happened. Now according to what I am reading here in the help section it has never been an option. Huh?

When I go to file the State MI-1041 the program says it cannot be filed electronically, then the next page says it MUST be filed electronically. Which is it? I am not happy with the quality of of this year's TurboTax products.

Thanks for the headaches, as if 2020 wasn't already bad enough.

Yes. Same problem. Turbo Tax Business says you can attach your 1099-B info but it does not let you do it.

I did this in 2019 with no problem. This is really a mess, because now they have my filing with no back-up information on the 1099-B. Is there anyone out there who has figured this out yet? Come on Intuit. What is the solution?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies