turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

manetta17

What is a qualifying widow?

I was not given the standard deduction for a qualifying widow on my tax return which should have been $24000.  Instead the deductions were itemized to $16358.  How do I amend this?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

A qualifying widow or widower with a dependent child is entitled to a special filing status for two tax years after the year their spouse passes.  You must have a dependent child in order to file as a Qualifying Widow or Widower. In fact, the full name of this filing status is actually "Qualifying Widow(er) with a Dependent Child".

If you have a dependent child and your spouse passed away in 2015 or earlier, you no longer qualify for the widow status, but you will qualify for Head of Household status.  

To update/correct/change your marital status, return to My Info in the left bar of your TurboTax screen and click on the blue Edit button next to your filing status, which is found under your name.

I am sorry for your loss.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

A qualifying widow or widower with a dependent child is entitled to a special filing status for two tax years after the year their spouse passes.  You must have a dependent child in order to file as a Qualifying Widow or Widower. In fact, the full name of this filing status is actually "Qualifying Widow(er) with a Dependent Child".

If you have a dependent child and your spouse passed away in 2015 or earlier, you no longer qualify for the widow status, but you will qualify for Head of Household status.  

To update/correct/change your marital status, return to My Info in the left bar of your TurboTax screen and click on the blue Edit button next to your filing status, which is found under your name.

I am sorry for your loss.

My husband passed away in 2018 and I have a dependent child.  I am trying to file my 2019 returns and Turbotax is not letting me choose "Qualifying window" My Std deduction are matched to head of household instead of married filing jointly.  How to fix this

you have to enter a date of death showing the year was 2018 and then you can choose that filing status.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies