Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

A hard copy of W-2c

I already e-filed my tax return and received the federal refund. However, NYS tax Department sent me a letter to check amount of tax that withheld from my income. When I checked my W-2 again, I realized that my SSN on W-2 is wrong. I e-filed my tax return with correct SSN though. I had to respond to NYS Tax Department ASAP, I just did without mentioning wrong SSN on W-2. I’m still waiting for status update on state tax return. 

Now I have some questions:

- My former employer who issued W-2 with wrong SSN will produce W-2c soon, and told me that they will provide a PDF version of W-2c online but won’t send me a hard copy of W-2c in mail. Is a PDF version of W-2c enough for me as my record?

- If NYS Tax Department noticed my SSN is wrong on W-2 and rejected my tax return now, do I have to refile with W-2c still by April 15th?

- If my NYS tax return was successfully done without having problem with SSN ( I heard that often time tax return can be done even if SSN is wrong on W-2 and correct SSN on application), what do I need to do after my W-2c is produced?

I’m living outside of the US and also in this severe Coronavirus situation, I’m worrying if I can get my state tax return...

Thank you very much in advance!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

A hard copy of W-2c

1)  Yes, the PDF copy of your W-2 form is sufficient for your records.

2)  No, you will be filing an amended return.  This return is not due by April 15th.  You can file the amended return three years from the date you filed your return or two years after you paid the tax due, whichever is later.

3)  It depends.  I would recommend reviewing the information on your corrected Form W-2.  If there are changes in the income and taxes withheld, then you will need to amend your state return.  If there are no changes, then you would not need to amend the return.

Attached is a link with instructions to assist you in preparing your amended return.

How to amend my return?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

A hard copy of W-2c

1)  Yes, the PDF copy of your W-2 form is sufficient for your records.

2)  No, you will be filing an amended return.  This return is not due by April 15th.  You can file the amended return three years from the date you filed your return or two years after you paid the tax due, whichever is later.

3)  It depends.  I would recommend reviewing the information on your corrected Form W-2.  If there are changes in the income and taxes withheld, then you will need to amend your state return.  If there are no changes, then you would not need to amend the return.

Attached is a link with instructions to assist you in preparing your amended return.

How to amend my return?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

A hard copy of W-2c

Thank you very much for your quick answer!! This is very helpful information!

A hard copy of W-2c

Print a copy of the correct w-2 attach it to the return along with the other W-2's and mail it in.  That is one option.

Due to the virus we now have until July 15, 2020 to get it all done

A hard copy of W-2c

If you e-filed your return and it was rejected then correct it and refile.

This is not an amendment to your return because it has not been filed due to it being rejected.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies