Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Andera
Returning Member

8915-F error

@cspyon  Thank you for the update! I am glad I was able to assist. 

8915-F error

Super!

I think TurboTax (and their tax experts on the hotline) should pay attention to your solution!!!

Bcaldw02

8915-F error

I found that if you go into the 2020 Disaster Distribution form there is a editable field where you enter the disaster code.  Remove the COVID-19 from that box and it will update the form 8915 to remove it from line C.  I was then able to file and had the return accepted within minutes of submitting it for efile.  

8915-F error

Yes, I also got mine accepted, thanks to Andrea's right solution. I think it's basically the same as yours.

8915-F error

The 'fix' from TurboTax will NOT resolve your issue. The only way I was able to resolve it was by deleting the Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Distr form and then re-entering the information from my 2021 return. I spent 2 hours on the phone with support and they suggested printing and sending my form when their workaround didn't actually work. I had no intention of doing that, so I did the above. Federal and state returns were accepted yesterday...after 5 rejections.

8915-F error

I think for some people it is working with their fix and for some the deleting is working. Not sure why the difference, but my federal was accepted the second time after following the TurboTax steps. 

8915-F error

I share your frustration. 

I also talked to several tax experts on the TurboTax last week,  but they all gave me the confusing replies.

Finally I corrected it, based on our member Andrea here, and got my returns accepted!

His method was basically the same as yours.

By the way, I'm not sure if TurboTax fixed this issue yet, because I haven't received any notification from them.

MaMur21

8915-F error

The solution Mims posted above worked for me. I deleted the 8915 F and the 2020 Qualified disaster dist form, re-entered everything in that section and was able to e-file.

pizza12

8915-F error

This didn't work for me. Following these steps exactly but the 'SARS-CoV-2' entry still appears on line C.  Any additional tips on how you got this to work?

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

8915-F error

Please try these steps to fix the rejection issue and delete the line C entry (if you only had the Covid Distribution):

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click on the "Search" on the top and type “1099-R”  
  3. Click on “Jump to 1099-R” 
  4. If you do not have any 2022 1099-R answer "No" to "Did you get a 1099-R in 2022?" (If you have any other 1099-R then enter all 1099-R and after entering your last 1099-R click "Continue" on the “Review your 1099-R info​​​​​​​” screen)
  5. Answer "Yes" to the "Have you ever taken a disaster distribution before 2022?" screen
  6. Answer "Yes" to "Did you take a 2020 Qualified Disaster Distribution?"
  7. Uncheck the box next to "If this was a Coronavirus-related distribution reported in 2020 check here" and click continue
  8. On the "Which disaster affected you in 2020?" screen select the blank entry (click on it) and click "continue"
  9. Go through all the question
  10. On the Income & Wage screen click "Edit" next to "IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R)"
  11. Click "Continue" on the “Review your 1099-R info​​​​​​​” screen
  12. Answer "Yes" to "Did you take a 2020 Qualified Disaster Distribution?"
  13. Then recheck the box next to "If this was a Coronavirus-related distribution reported in 2020 check here", enter your information from your 2021 Form 9815-F, and then continue.

Another option is to delete both "Form 8915-F" and "Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Distr" and then go back to the retirement section and reenter the information:

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the left menu, select "Tax Tools" and then "Tools".
  3. In the pop-up window Tool Center, select "Delete a form".
  4. Select "Delete" next to "Form 8915-F" and "Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Distr" and follow the instructions.
  5. Click on the "Search" on the top and type “1099-R”  
  6. Click on “Jump to 1099-R” 
  7. If you do not have any 2022 1099-R answer "No" to "Did you get a 1099-R in 2022?" (If you have any other 1099-R then enter all 1099-R and after entering your last 1099-R click "Continue" on the “Review your 1099-R info​​​​​​​” screen)
  8. Answer "Yes" to the "Have you ever taken a disaster distribution before 2022?" screen
  9. Answer "Yes" to "Did you take a 2020 Qualified Disaster Distribution?"
  10. Check the box next to "If this was a Coronavirus-related distribution reported in 2020 check here" and enter your information.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

8915-F error

Thank you!

I already solved the issue based on the right fix of our fourm members here including you.

I think TurboTax should be more forthcoming in helping us by fixing this problem once and for all. Not sure if they already fixed it, instead of having us ask you here.  Why? Because I paid for their service!!!

Abja09

8915-F error

Does anyone know if the issue is fixed or do we have to do a work around?  So frustrating!!

8915-F error

Please check Andrea's reply here. 

I fixed it thanks to his solution. 

Quick & easy.

BrittanyS
Expert Alumni

8915-F error

Here is a work around provided by expert DanaB27:

Please try these steps to fix the rejection issue:

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click on the "Search" on the top and type “1099-R”  
  3. Click on “Jump to 1099-R” 
  4. If you do not have any 2022 1099-R answer "No" to "Did you get a 1099-R in 2022?" (If you have any other 1099-R then enter all 1099-R and after entering your last 1099-R click "Continue" on the “Review your 1099-R info​​​​​​​” screen)
  5. Answer "Yes" to the "Have you ever taken a disaster distribution before 2022?" screen
  6. Answer "Yes" to "Did you take a 2020 Qualified Disaster Distribution?"
  7. Uncheck the box next to "If this was a Coronavirus-related distribution reported in 2020 check here" and click continue
  8. On the "Which disaster affected you in 2020?" screen I selected the blank entry and click "back
  9. Then recheck the box next to "If this was a Coronavirus-related distribution reported in 2020 check here" and continue.

Another option is to delete "Form 8915-F" and "Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Distr" and then go back to the retirement section and reenter the information:

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the left menu, select "Tax Tools" and then "Tools".
  3. In the pop-up window Tool Center, select "Delete a form".
  4. Select "Delete" next to "Form 8915-F" and "Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Distr" and follow the instructions.
  5. Click on the "Search" on the top and type “1099-R”  
  6. Click on “Jump to 1099-R” 
  7. If you do not have any 2022 1099-R answer "No" to "Did you get a 1099-R in 2022?" (If you have any other 1099-R then enter all 1099-R and after entering your last 1099-R click "Continue" on the “Review your 1099-R info​​​​​​​” screen)
  8. Answer "Yes" to the "Have you ever taken a disaster distribution before 2022?" screen
  9. Answer "Yes" to "Did you take a 2020 Qualified Disaster Distribution?"
  10. Check the box next to "If this was a Coronavirus-related distribution reported in 2020 check here" and enter your information.

Please let me know if this worked for you.

@Abja09 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

8915-F error

I tried both method but I can't fix the issue. On the first part my box is always checked and for the second one I do not have the 'Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Distr" form and I can't delete the form 8915-F because it comeback immediately after I delete it.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies