Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8915-F error

How did you fix it?

8915-F error

Weird. I cannot get mine to remove the NA. Not sure what I am doing wrong. 

Andera
Returning Member

8915-F error

There are steps to get this corrected so you can submit your return. 

johnshirley
Returning Member

8915-F error

User mims77 posted a solution to the issue with the unintentional values appearing in Line C -- "N/A" in my case. 

The issue is that the 8915-F was populated by a literal "N/A" in a field that was expected to be blank or to have a specific code in Line C of the form.

In Line D, a checkbox indicates that it's not one of the declared disaster codes, but is instead Covid-related (mine was). This means that line C must be blanks and only line D is to be checked.

So, the solution is:

Write down the values that are in the 8915-F. It's typically 1/3d of the amount that was withdrawn due to Covid in some of the lines. Which ones are specific to your tax situation.

Go to Tax Tools in the lefthand menu.

Click Delete a Form.

Find and delete the "2020 Qualified Distribution" worksheet. You cannot (and need not) delete the 8915-F form. It will be automatically removed when you delete the 2020 Qualified Distribution worksheet.

Go back to Income, and revisit the 1099-R section.

When the questions come up about your 2020 distribution, click the checkbox indicating it's for Covid then fill in the values that appear beneath. The numbers you copied from the previous (erroneous) form.

Click through until you reach the E-File section. Just before you file, you'll be presented with a button to view or print your prepared forms. You can view, make a copy, print, etc. But from here, you can visually confirm that form 8915-F has nulls across all fields in Line C and that only the checkbox in Line D is checked.

Andera
Returning Member

8915-F error

You have to Uncheck the Covid box, then continue  to the next screen. Leave the qualified disaster box blank and press continue. 

Then you will press the back button and recheck the Covid box. 

When you get to the Review before filing look for form 8915. Line C should be blank & Line D should be checked. 

This will allow you yo submit without rejection. 

8915-F error

Thanks. I will give this a try. No matter what I do or how many times I try and delete the form, I can't get the NA to go away so I'm going to just file again and see what happens. 

8915-F error

Very nice.

By the way, where are the so-called tax experts on this forum??? Not a single one showed any interest in this important topic as of now.

Very unusual. 

8915-F error

Please give us your updates!

8915-F error

Wonderful!

I will try your method and see what happens. 

Andera
Returning Member

8915-F error

They are here 😉

8915-F error

Thanks Andera. I had a feeling you were a tax person or worked with TurboTax. So far it has not been rejected and I went back and reread the rejection message and see that it does tell you to do the steps that you mentioned. It just was worded a little strangely, but I was wondering why I wasn't getting the page to select the FEMA option. I got it once I unchecked the box. It's definitely a confusing process, but hopefully that worked. 

Andera
Returning Member

8915-F error

Thank you! Please let me know if this did not work for you and your return gets rejected again. 

8915-F error

So, were you accepted this time?

8915-F error

Thanks! It was accepted 🙂

8915-F error

Andrea, 

My return was just accepted when I fixed and refiled, based on your advice!

You're much much better than the TurboTax experts that I talked over the weekend, who were all confused, just telling me to wait until Mon for TurboTax to fix it.

You gave us the right solution!

Thanks so much!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies