Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

6475 IRS letter ( 3rd Stimulus letter. Tax Year 2021)

Has anyone out there  received the 3rd stimulus letter ( 6475), but the other joint taxpayer has not received it yet?. There is supposed to be 2 letters sent out...each individually addressed and generally will come in the same mail drop.

Also, with the letter received, did the envelope itself say "IMPORTANT TAX INFORMATION ENCLOSED"?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

28 Replies

Yes, that happened to me just yesterday. 

If you haven't got it yet, if you know the amounts you got just enter them.   You can Check your IRS account

Your Online Account | Internal Revenue Service

what happened?...

I don't really want an IRS account...thanks....but did you remember getting the letter with the marking on envelope "IMPORTANT TAX INFORMATION ENCLOSED"?..those exact words?

ccarots
Returning Member

My husband and I file jointly. We only received one 6475 letter.  It is in my name and the amount is $2800.  Our payment came as a debit card in both of our names but we have no idea how much money was loaded on it.  TurboTax says were should have received $5600.  It also says to enter the amount on the letter.  Since I only received one letter, do I enter that amount?

Did you have two dependents claimed on your 2020 tax return?   If so it is likely that you received 4 x $1400 on that card ---   so $5600.      Did you actually not check to see how much was on it when you received it?   You can check your IRS accounts to see what the IRS says they sent you.   If you answer incorrectly on your tax return you will delay your refund for weeks or maybe longer.

https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
JillS56
Expert Alumni

Did you have dependents that you did not claim on your 2020 taxes and you are claiming on your 2021 taxes?    If so, that is the difference.  Did someone else claim the dependents in 2020 and receive the $2800 for those dependents.   

The reconciliation of the stimulus payment in 2021 is part of the tax program.  This is required by the IRS,  the tax software reconciles who received what and did they receive the correct amount.   

Based on what you are reporting on your 2021 taxes TurboTax is saying you should have received $5,600.   Based on your 2020 return you were entitled to $2,800 and according to IRS Letter 6475, you received $2,800.   If the additional dependents on your return were claimed by another who probably received the stimulus payment for them then you should enter in the box the $5,600 as you are not entitled to any additional stimulus.  Some of the 6475 letters sent out have had incorrect information.  

On the other hand, if you are claiming additional depends, such as a baby born in 2021, an adopted child in 2021, you are claiming a mother or father that you are now caring for and do not file taxes and did not receive the stimulus or you are sure that no one else could have claimed the individuals then enter the $2,800 and you will receive the stimulus credit for the two additional dependents listed on your return.  

If none of the situations above are true for you, please respond back with additional information so that we can help you correctly answer the question.

Not sure I quite understand. To my knowledge, $2800 is the max stimulus distribution for the 3rd stimulus payment( for joint filers) which was sent around mid march 2021. I have no idea why IRS said you should get double that amount.( Don't confuse prior stimulus payments with this one.)

And also, not aware that a debit card was even an option to get your money. It was usually direct deposit. If you don't know what amount was loaded on the debit card, then did you actually receive the money or not.

Simply put, , if you jointly got $2800, then you have nothing more coming unless your circumstances changed during the year like add'l dependents, whatever. The rebate recovery worksheet is just a guide to all this. In effect, what it says, if you got what you were supposed to get, then you leave line 30 on the 1040 blank.

@poman1972   The 3rd Stimulus payment was 1,400 for each person on your tax return.  So a married couple with 2 kids would get 5,600 (1,400x4).

Let me clarify my prior response:

The maximum distribution of the 3rd stimulus amount would have been $2800 total if there were only joint filers and no other dependents.

Example: husband and wife "married filing jointly" with no other dependents would have received $1400 each.

ccarots
Returning Member

Thank you!

clcody247

I RECEIVED A IMPACT PAYMENT 2021--MUST I RE-DO MY 2021 tax fileing

If you did not enter the full amount you received on your return the IRS will correct it but any refund will be delayed 

MiMi21222

We’ve only received one letter and it’s in my husband’s name only.  We file jointly every year.  Is it likely I will get a letter?  The amount is for $2100.  I do not remember the amount we received for the third payment. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies