turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

401k, solo 401k, SEP ira limits for Sole Proprietor LLC with W-2 compensation also

I worked as a W-2 employee and contributed to a 401k.  I have a sole proprietor LLC that is profitable, say $100,000.  I have a solo 401k and a SEP IRA set up for the LLC.

I contributed $18,000 to the 401k as a W-2 employee.  I am over 50 years old.  I contributed $20,000 to the SEP IRA as an LLC employer.

What is maximum additional that I can contribute as an employee and as the employer to the the Solo 401k?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

401k, solo 401k, SEP ira limits for Sole Proprietor LLC with W-2 compensation also

As an employee -   the maximum deferral contribution to your Solo 401(k) is $24,500 (18,500 plus another $6000 since you are of age 50 and older).  That amount does include your 401)k) contribution to your other W-2 job.  The above maximum contribution, per the IRS ,refers to your combined 401(k) accounts. More details here

As an employer -  the contributions are limited to the 25% of your LLC's income subject to self-employment tax, with the maximum amount of $55,000. 

When you enter your contributions in TurboTax, the software gives you the option to maximize your contributions - it basically calculates how much more you can contribute by the due date of the return (and to which plan). 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

As an employee -   the maximum deferral contribution to your Solo 401(k) is $24,500 (18,500 plus another $6000 since you are of age 50 and older).  That amount does include your 401)k) contribution to your other W-2 job.  The above maximum contribution, per the IRS ,refers to your combined 401(k) accounts. More details here

As an employer -  the contributions are limited to the 25% of your LLC's income subject to self-employment tax, with the maximum amount of $55,000. 

When you enter your contributions in TurboTax, the software gives you the option to maximize your contributions - it basically calculates how much more you can contribute by the due date of the return (and to which plan). 

jck77

If I have both Sep-ira and individual 401K - can I contribute 25 % to each ? Or is the the total allowable contribution 25 % for both 401K and ira put together ?

SusanY1
Employee Tax Expert

It depends.  You may be able to claim the maximum percentage deferral on your 401(k) as well as 25% of your self-employed income for your SEP (if they are each for separate businesses) but your combined total deferral cannot exceed $53,000 ($59,000 if you are eligible to make catch-up contributions.)

@jck77

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies