Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

3rd Stimulus payment through TPG?

Will the IRS send my 3rd stimulus to  TPG for Direct deposit? or will i get a paper check?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

A previous stimulus payment may have been sent to the temporary bank account established when you filed your 2019 tax return. The IRS and tax industry partners took steps to redirect stimulus payments to the correct account for those affected.

In the IRS FAQ below, the IRS explains where they have obtained your banking information.  We do not know how it is determined what banking information they will use to issue a stimulus payment.

IRS FAQ Where did the IRS get my bank information? states:

Your payment information cannot be changed.

The bank account information in Get My Payment came from one of the following sources: 

• Your 2019 tax return,
  • Information you entered on your non-filer registration in 2020,
  • Information you entered on Get My Payment before December 22, 2020, or
  • A federal agency that provides you benefits: This may include the Social Security Administration, Veteran Affairs, or the Railroad Retirement Board. 

In some cases, your payment may have been sent to the temporary bank account established when you filed your 2019 tax return. The IRS and tax industry partners took steps to redirect stimulus payments to the correct account for those affected.

If you are eligible – and either didn’t receive Economic Impact Payments or qualify for more than received – you may claim the Recovery Rebate Credit and must file a 2020 tax return even if you are not normally required to file.

This TurboTax Help about the American Rescue Plan states:

Third Stimulus Payments for Individuals and Joint Taxpayers

Those eligible will get up to $1,400 in stimulus payments for each taxpayer in their family plus an additional $1,400 per dependent. This means a family with two children could receive $5,600.

Unlike the previous two rounds, you will receive stimulus payments for all your dependents, including adult dependents and college students.

Although you may want to file your 2020 return now in order to provide your most recent information to the IRS, including bank account information, you don’t need to do anything to get your stimulus check. The IRS will determine eligibility based on your last tax return, either 2019 or 2020, and will likely send your payment to the bank account where your tax refund was deposited. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dcummings51
Returning Member

so is there going to be the same issue with the 2nd stimulus where people paid the filing fee with their refund? 

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Please see this TurboTax Help article for information:   How will the third stimulus impact me?

dcummings51
Returning Member

not sure that answers my question but thank you

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies